Knee problems...

If there is inflammation, I strongly recommend RICE

Rest

Ice

Compression

Elevation

for a week at least before riding again...

KT Tape strapping can help as well, but let a physio show you first...

Wait a week at least bud, then ease into it gradually.

Also, try higher cadence for now before hitting the bigger gears

Thanks for the advice... I'm not riding during the week and have been icing it after all the rides...plan was to cycle today, tomorrow and Sunday. Will try get physio to do 1st round of strapping. See how that goes....

Yes..

Just wondering...do your feet move around when clipped in adn when you did the bike fit was a proper cleat setup included? I ask because my pedals were setup initially with very little lateral movement and the angle at which my feet were positioned caused knee pain as well.

I can't say initial setup of cleats was done properly. Atleast Wendy took accurate measurements and I'm. Now confidsnt the cleats are in the correct position. I would say there was movement on the shoe as my cleats were setup quite loose so I could clip out quickly...

This is going to save your knees. Trust me, I've been through it all. Had serious pain on top of knee and on the inside (not in front or behind, which is largely saddle related). Finally coming right after doing loads of research and exercises. Physio's treat the symptoms, not the cause. Mine was finally fixed by a biokineticist using targeted leg and core exercises (very boring) and stretching (esp. ITB and hip flexors).

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/11/knee-pain/

Read his stuff on foot correction too. It's a lot, but so worth it. A lot of knee pain is actually foot related i.e. the arch not being supported properly, combined with too much, too soon, causing the knee to track along the wrong plane, which causes overworked quads/adductors which leads to pain at the insertion points (on top of knee = patella femoral tendon/rectus femoris insertion).

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/02/foot-correction-part-1-arch-support/

Go to a Spez shop and buy either the blue (++) or green (+++) arches NOW. They'll check your feet and get it mostly right. I started with blue but just moved to green and my feet are now so stable when pedaling. I get more power for the same effort as my calf is no longer working so hard to support the foot/ankle. Try a one-legged squat...if your knee moves inward, you likely need arch/foot support (and/or muscle balancing).

You might also need a varus wedges (under cleat or in shoe). Get the bikefit ones. Not sure who stocks them in your area. 

Hope this helps you and others.

Tomi

On a related note, can anyone recommend a physio/bio in jhb north/surrounds who has a focus in cycling related issues/injuries?

I'm forever being plagued by knee/ankle problems. Without changing my bike setup the pain will move between legs/joints/etc..

On a related note, can anyone recommend a physio/bio in jhb north/surrounds who has a focus in cycling related issues/injuries?

I'm forever being plagued by knee/ankle problems. Without changing my bike setup the pain will move between legs/joints/etc..

I have sent you a PM!

Jono Blake in Parkwood

This is going to save your knees. Trust me, I've been through it all. Had serious pain on top of knee and on the inside (not in front or behind, which is largely saddle related). Finally coming right after doing loads of research and exercises. Physio's treat the symptoms, not the cause. Mine was finally fixed by a biokineticist using targeted leg and core exercises (very boring) and stretching (esp. ITB and hip flexors).

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/11/knee-pain/

Read his stuff on foot correction too. It's a lot, but so worth it. A lot of knee pain is actually foot related i.e. the arch not being supported properly, combined with too much, too soon, causing the knee to track along the wrong plane, which causes overworked quads/adductors which leads to pain at the insertion points (on top of knee = patella femoral tendon/rectus femoris insertion).

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/02/foot-correction-part-1-arch-support/

Go to a Spez shop and buy either the blue (++) or green (+++) arches NOW. They'll check your feet and get it mostly right. I started with blue but just moved to green and my feet are now so stable when pedaling. I get more power for the same effort as my calf is no longer working so hard to support the foot/ankle. Try a one-legged squat...if your knee moves inward, you likely need arch/foot support (and/or muscle balancing).

You might also need a varus wedges (under cleat or in shoe). Get the bikefit ones. Not sure who stocks them in your area. 

Hope this helps you and others.

Tomi

I have not used the inserts, but the arch and leg exercises, together with the stretches are really the way to sort this out over the long term. I wrote my note above in a rush, but a longer term view based on solid advice from a good physio is the way to go.

I battled for a while and could not understand why my knees where so weak on a bike, I can kite or windsurf for 3-4 hours without an issue. My physio mentioned that 'they' think it is related to our modern office lifestyle and sitting down for 8 hours a day. Apparently certain muscles (in your feet, calves, glutes and inner thighs) start to loose condition if you sit down for 10 hours, 5-6 days a week. For some reason you quads don't degenerate as much and this pulls your knee caps out of line - the end symptom is sore knees.

I thought the physio was 'generating demand' until she asked me to do a few basic strength tests - e.g. stand on one leg, knee straight and lift you heal 1cm off the ground, see how long you can hold it. In a minute or two, you find your feet, calves etc, are not as strong as you thought they were.

Archived