Trek Fuel EX 8

anybody seen george?

Ladies and gentleman brutal honest thoughts please: 

EX 8 2017:
https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/fuel-ex/fuel-ex-8-29/p/2140600-2017/?colorCode=black

EX 8 2018:

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/fuel-ex/fuel-ex-8-29/p/2140690-2018/?colorCode=grey

Major Differences: 
Drivetrain: XT(M8000) vs GX Eagle

SeatpostKS eThirty Integra (not sure about drop height) vs Bontrager Drop Line (150 mm) 
Brake SetShimano Deore hydraulic disc vs SRAM Guide R hydraulic disc

WheelsetBontrager Duster Elite vs Bontrager Line Comp 30

I am not sure about the fork, they are equal according to descriptions but one is still "old" no coating vs the new black anno. Thoughts from guys who know this stuff better, please?

I honestly I feel I can't go wrong with either of these. But that being said, I am also thinking long term with regards to maintenance cost. As a from what I have to see, I can basically buy two XT 11sp cassettes for the price of 1 GX eagle, or will this cost still come down as eagle gets more popular?

What is the price difference between the '17 and '18 models?

17 - R40k

18 - R50k

If you wanted the GX Eagle, you could always sell off the XT parts.  Then it wouldn't cost much.  I prefer the Eagle over the XT, but the XT is still great.  I also prefer the black stanchions, but this is purely cosmetic.  

10k from what I see on the 2 links

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Sorry, I didn't look at the links.

I would personally go for the 2017, it should be cheaper to maintain, and its not like XT is all that bad

Apart from 2x11 XT vs 1x12 GX, the other biggest difference is the wheels.

The 2018 has the Line Comp 30, which are quite a bit wider than the 2018 wheels.

I would be inclined towards the 2017 model (if they have your size) change to XT 1x11, upgrade the brakes and then get some AC Wide Lightning wheels.

The Sram components are not worth R10k more. Also there is nothing wrong with Shimano brakes, cheap as chips at R110 for a pad set. You'll never feel or see the R10k difference so take it a maintenance money over 2 or 3 years. I'll go for the 2017 version.

Mr GT speak to Danie at Cycle4Life.

He KNOWS his Trek bikes.  He has only ever given me solid advise.

PERSONALLY - I am a 2x rider ....  Saturday's ride once again showed why I enjoy the higher top-end, AND the ultra low granny .....  Granted, this is a very personal choise, and may well be why you go either way.

whichever - you will ENJOY the TREK !!

Mr GT

I would take the 2017 without losing sleep about it as I don't think the 2018 offers a R10k worth of difference that you would notice.  I have the 2017 model and absolutely love it.  It's was like having a new girlfriend - took a while to get used to the design and geometry but once dialled in - went like a Boeing.

Yes there are definite differences between the 2 year models if you start looking at the detail - noticeably the wheelset & drive chain which are all pricier hence the addition to the total bike cost, but what you are getting in the EX8 is a very capable bike that you really don't need to add any upgrades or make any changes to.  You can go straight out the show room and on to the trail.

So, would I pay R10k extra for a 2018 model. Simply put - no and this is my personal opinion of course.

This is not because I don't have the cash to do so but based purely on the fact that I don't think it will add that much value to your ride in the overall.  The jump up between the EX's is not thaaaat of a wow compared to say going from the EX8 to the EX 9.7. Then I think you will start feeling the difference and at only R9k more might be a thought. (Time to do some bike-math).  Besides the cost, there are also other factors that come into play that I think determine your purchase - like when and how you ride, what terrain you ride, who you ride with and if being a bit of a show pony is your thing.  Judging by the decision to buy a 130mm trail bike I assume you are not a lycra-clad weight obsessed XC jeeptrack rider so that may render the last point redundant.  I say this because if you ride twice a week with your mates over undulating hills to get to the pub then why spend more?

I ride where the terrain is very up and down with a little bit more up and more down so I am grateful for my 2x10. I certainly wouldn't spend money getting the eagle or converting back to 1-by even though I love and miss the simplicity of the set up.  I always seem to be able to find the right gear ratio which is handy and I also don't spin out as much.

The Bontrager Duster Elite wheel set is more than capable and robust enough for the trails.  If the money was no option and I had to upgrade something, I would spend it on a nice set of 32mm Corse rims but it is not a necessity.

I have to say that I absolutely love my EX8.  I have been pleasantly surprised by it's nimbleness and comfortable seating geometry and have gotten used to it's weight having come from a lighter less trail-orientated bike.  I have a guaranteed smile on my face after every ride and like ChrisF said - you will enjoy it either way.

Happy riding.

Edited by Pure XTC

Thanks for all the feedback thus far. Much appreciated! 

Mr GT speak to Danie at Cycle4Life.

He KNOWS his Trek bikes.  He has only ever given me solid advise.

PERSONALLY - I am a 2x rider ....  Saturday's ride once again showed why I enjoy the higher top-end, AND the ultra low granny .....  Granted, this is a very personal choise, and may well be why you go either way.

whichever - you will ENJOY the TREK !!

Have Spoken to him. Planning to pop by on Saturday for a look and chat

Mr GT

I would take the 2017 without losing sleep about it as I don't think the 2018 offers a R10k worth of difference that you would notice.  I have the 2017 model and absolutely love it.  It's was like having a new girlfriend - took a while to get used to the design and geometry but once dialled in - went like a Boeing.

Yes there are definite differences between the 2 year models if you start looking at the detail - noticeably the wheelset & drive chain which are all pricier hence the addition to the total bike cost, but what you are getting in the EX8 is a very capable bike that you really don't need to add any upgrades or make any changes to.  You can go straight out the show room and on to the trail.

So, would I pay R10k extra for a 2018 model. Simply put - no and this is my personal opinion of course.

This is not because I don't have the cash to do so but based purely on the fact that I don't think it will add that much value to your ride in the overall.  The jump up between the EX's is not thaaaat of a wow compared to say going from the EX8 to the EX 9.7. Then I think you will start feeling the difference and at only R9k more might be a thought. (Time to do some bike-math).  Besides the cost, there are also other factors that come into play that I think determine your purchase - like when and how you ride, what terrain you ride, who you ride with and if being a bit of a show pony is your thing.  Judging by the decision to buy a 130mm trail bike I assume you are not a lycra-clad weight obsessed XC jeeptrack rider so that may render the last point redundant.  I say this because if you ride twice a week with your mates over undulating hills to get to the pub then why spend more?

I ride where the terrain is very up and down with a little bit more up and more down so I am grateful for my 2x10. I certainly wouldn't spend money getting the eagle or converting back to 1-by even though I love and miss the simplicity of the set up.  I always seem to be able to find the right gear ratio which is handy and I also don't spin out as much.

The Bontrager Duster Elite wheel set is more than capable and robust enough for the trails.  If the money was no option and I had to upgrade something, I would spend it on a nice set of 32mm Corse rims but it is not a necessity.

I have to say that I absolutely love my EX8.  I have been pleasantly surprised by it's nimbleness and comfortable seating geometry and have gotten used to it's weight having come from a lighter less trail-orientated bike.  I have a guaranteed smile on my face after every ride and like ChrisF said - you will enjoy it either way.

Happy riding.

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup: 

I have to admit I still don the lycra without much shame  :ph34r:

Super glad to know the rims can handle the beating as I am pretty hard on them due to my riding style and size.

Look I have never ridden 1x system still rocking the 3x on my current bike. So that makes it a harder choice as its very unfamiliar to me. Just a lot out fork out for a cassette when replacement is due.

Don't think there's R10k difference between the bikes.

If I was buying I'd get the 2017, take off the XT and sell it as "new" - with the crank and BB I'm sure you could get R5k for it. Buy Eagle GX (I'm still riding 2x10 XT, but feel that GX Eagle is a great option and would love to try it) and a new set of wheels (I'd go Chinese Carbon on DT350s but there are loads of good options, Hope/Stans, AC, etc).

If you really wanted then you could sell the wheels and the Deore brakes and buy a new set of brakes.

So in short I reckon you can buy the 2017, and "upgrade" it to the 2018 spec but with better wheels (and possibly better brakes) for the the same price as the stock 2018.

Take a 1x for a test ride ......

Make sure to include a nice STEEP incline, and also a decent down hill .... Then repeat on a 2x.

The 1x might work for the guys with super leggs .....

I am VERY happy with my 2x.  So much so that I may well upgrade my commuter to a 2x at the first excuse ...

Take a 1x for a test ride ......

Make sure to include a nice STEEP incline, and also a decent down hill .... Then repeat on a 2x.

The 1x might work for the guys with super leggs .....

I am VERY happy with my 2x.  So much so that I may well upgrade my commuter to a 2x at the first excuse ...

Not all 1x systems are the same - Eagle has a lot more of a range than a 1x10 or 1x11.

Have a look at the chart below - I've chosen a standard 2x10 setup (don't know your exact setup but this is pretty standard), compared to Eagle.  You'll see that Eagle has a better granny (easier) and an almost identical (albeit marginally slower) top speed.  

With this setup there is no loss to climbing ability or top speed - win win.

post-50271-0-05169500-1507725279_thumb.jpg

The options are certainly better now.

But those with week knees may well want (need) the 22-42 type granny .... for these guys (me) the 2x is the answer.

For the strong young racer .... enjoy the 1x    :)

PS - over the last year my knees have certainly improve a bit. I now get to the top of hills, with breath to spare and having 1 or even 2 gears left ....  Though I DID use (and need) my ultra granny for that last climb on Saturday.

Edited by ChrisF