The Beginner Budget Brain

popcorn_skollie

So why do you want a bike anyways?

The Get Fit Conundrum

So you packed on a few pounds. Its starting to bother you. Enough to try and do something about it. But the treadmill is about as exciting as watching paint dry. A bicycle seems as good idea as any to try and sort this mess out. The great outdoors. Sunshine. Fresh air. The prospect of liberation from the comfortable confines of your couch suddenly seems enticing. If you have a bike. You have a reason to get out there. So you could get fit while having fun right? Ask my friends just how hard it is for them to get my ass out of bed on a Sunday morning. It’s not easy Lionel. So shut your mouth.

On with it then. You’ve scoured the classifieds: Gumtree, Bikehub, Facebook, Ashley Madison. Been inside a few bike shops. You’ve even started a thread asking for advice. The feedback was valuable. Now with some sort of relative reassurance, you’re confident enough to pull the trigger. Jeez that was pricey. But there she is. Gorgeous! The parking lot to pavement test was spectacular. You’re amped to get this riding business started. The first ride planned for the weekend. Hooking up with some friends who do this sort of thing. The morning comes. Smiles and handshakes. Your friends are excited too. But they haven’t told you what comes next. You should probably wipe that smile off your face then. Because your eager anticipation and excitement are now under threat.

It’s time to set off on your very first climb…

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jou pelle is wreed  ...  :devil:   :cursing:   :devil:

jokes aside - what is your experience of a bike on gravel ??

If you are not sure, go do Hazendal.  EASY TRAIL !!  You most probably wont need to go back.  BUT, they also have a skills track ... perfect to find out in some safety where you fit in ....

It’s time to set off on your very first climb…

My first trip on the Satellite Climb at Cradle!

Went up there at the pace of 14.8 f@cks per minute... did not feel like smiling!

But it gets better

I'm guilty in that my budget for my first mtb was no more than R5k.

Friends talked me in to go up to R7500.

Bought my first bike. rode a few times. bug bit. time for an upgrade.

bought a new bike for double that, now I'm looking at bike twice my monthly salary.

At this rate I'll be making bids on S-works R100k bikes soon

Great thread... definitely going to follow this one ... awaiting the next installment please...

Before i got married the following applied when i took friends on their 1st mtb rides:

Girls - nice easy ride, you'll know how to choose gears & a picnic chucked in the camelbac.

Guys - f@xk you, we're riding Jonkershoek & going up to saaltjie. BTW you owe me a beer or six for having to wait for you.

Before i got married the following applied when i took friends on their 1st mtb rides:

Girls - nice easy ride, you'll know how to choose gears & a picnic chucked in the camelbac.

Guys - f@xk you, we're riding Jonkershoek & going up to saaltjie. BTW you owe me a beer or six for having to wait for you.

I did that to a friend too. Loved every minute of his suffering.

Then took the girlfriend around the dam at Meerendal and got a world of hell for taking her on "single track".

I've learned that Koeberg reserve is the way to go with them...

It was around October and the year was 2006. A mate got a brand new Merida Team Carbon Mission for some mad mtb race called the Cape Epic. His girlfriend got gifted his Scott hardtail and he talked me into going on a ride in Jonkershoek on his girlfriend’s bright blue Giant Boulder with him. The ride was about 12km and took over an hour to do. I was over weight and unfit. I huffed and puffed my way around Jonkershoek and loved every minute. I asked if he wanted to sell the bike to me. He refused to take my money and did a thing called paying it forward. I took the money and bought a cycling short, helmet, Spd pedals and a pair of Olympic shoes. I got into this mountain biking thing and entered for a few races. A year later I bought my own Merida. A 10kg hardtail with carbon stays and the blue Giant Boulder (Ugly

Betty) was passed on to another friend who was keen to start mountain biking. Roll forward another 10 years and 6 bikes later and I still have many fond memories of that first ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We had a friend of a friend join us for his first ride a few months back. 

He dropped some decent cash into a GT Sensor.

Which is actually a pretty good choice for a starter bike. Its not super racy but you could pull of a stage race if you weren't the competitive type. Its also enough of a trail canvas without being too serious about enduro. 

Problem was it was shuttle day. Now there's only one thing that discourages hatchlings quicker than a tough climb. And that's following a couple pinners down A-line at Paarl. I gave him one tip. Look ahead. Take your time and if there's a feature or obstacle that looks intimidating. Stop. Get off your bike and walk it. Which he did. He was safe. Not a scratch. But his ride was a bit uneventful and discouraging to say the least. I never did see him again.

We had a friend of a friend join us for his first ride a few months back. 

He dropped some decent cash into a GT Sensor.

Which is actually a pretty good choice for a starter bike. Its not super racy but you could pull of a stage race if you weren't the competitive type. Its also enough of a trail canvas without being too serious about enduro. 

Problem was it was shuttle day. Now there's only one thing that discourages hatchlings quicker than a tough climb. And that's following a couple pinners down A-line at Paarl. I gave him one tip. Look ahead. Take your time and if there's a feature or obstacle that looks intimidating. Stop. Get off your bike and walk it. Which he did. He was safe. Not a scratch. But his ride was a bit uneventful and discouraging to say the least. I never did see him again.

Ja, got the same experience with my male buddies after their first ride: never see them again... with the last one we rode Ezelfontein :ph34r: 

• 10 months later...

Looking forward to your next installment, especially wondering if you going to revisit your "Makro" view

• 2 weeks later...

Archived