New Wheelset? Need Some Advice

Andrew_Smith

For R4000 you can get a proper rear wheel built which can convert between axle standards really easily.

Then save for the front and build one to match. I've sent you a PM.

For R4000 you can get a proper rear wheel built which can convert between axle standards really easily.

Then save for the front and build one to match. I've sent you a PM.

Listen to this guy. He speaks sense.

No point doing half a job now so you can do it again in a few months time.

That said, if the roughness is only when you're freewheeling it means the freehub is shot. Freehubs are cheap and easy to replace, and you should then get some decent mileage out of the existing wheel while you plan for the next set.

Listen to this guy. He speaks sense.

No point doing half a job now so you can do it again in a few months time.

That said, if the roughness is only when you're freewheeling it means the freehub is shot. Freehubs are cheap and easy to replace, and you should then get some decent mileage out of the existing wheel while you plan for the next set.

I'll get in touch with him.

Absolutely agree with you.

Sadly, it is there when I pedal too. 

This seems like a decent option:

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-r29-21w-wheelset/

Can anyone confirm? 1700 and something grams, so decently light.

This could work, would just like feedback on the wheelset (and the hubs) itself. Sealed bearings too, nice! 1710g is really not bad. I was very pleased with my previous purchase from Rapidé. Excellent service and quality products, although I only bought a chainring from them. 

Don't think you will go wrong with the Rapide wheelsets. I think those hubs are very similar to the ones on my Prolite wheelset (rear axles for the different axle types are exactly the same, and if I'm not mistaken they are also the same as Novatec hubs).

Rear hubs with cartridge bearings are generally expensive when compared to the Shimano cup-and-cone kind. Not sure what the prices are since there are so many different models (check www.evobikes.co.za)

Don't think you will go wrong with the Rapide wheelsets. I think those hubs are very similar to the ones on my Prolite wheelset (rear axles for the different axle types are exactly the same, and if I'm not mistaken they are also the same as Novatec hubs).

Rear hubs with cartridge bearings are generally expensive when compared to the Shimano cup-and-cone kind. Not sure what the prices are since there are so many different models (check www.evobikes.co.za)

Okay, good to hear. I just love that they supply the wheelset with QR skewers & thru-axle adaptors, not to mention that the rims have rim tape and valves installed. This makes the process so much easier for me not having to buy these and of course saves me time.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the hubs rebranded Novatech hubs?

Absolutely, but the maintenance is less of an issue. I think it is about R150 for a bearing.

Okay, good to hear. I just love that they supply the wheelset with QR skewers & thru-axle adaptors, not to mention that the rims have rim tape and valves installed. This makes the process so much easier for me not having to buy these and of course saves me time.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the hubs rebranded Novatech hubs?

Absolutely, but the maintenance is less of an issue. I think it is about R150 for a bearing.

They may be re-branded hubs (I cannot say). I didn't even know about the valves and rimtape.

I replaced the bearings on my Prolite wheel set earlier this year with ones bought from Bearingman, better seals (the 2RS kind, which adds a bit of drag), and cost me around R600 for all 6.

Pics or it didn't happen.

:ph34r:

Will take a quality picture(s) tomorrow when my friend and I are finished with swopping the tyres and cassette.  

Nice Pick, but it looks like you are missing some parts (chain and chain rings), Pretty sure you will be very happy with those wheels. The American Classic Terrains was on my list when I put my bike together, just could not find them in 29" when I was looking for wheels.

Nice Pick, but it looks like you are missing some parts (chain and chain rings), Pretty sure you will be very happy with those wheels. The American Classic Terrains was on my list when I put my bike together, just could not find them in 29" when I was looking for wheels.

180% correct. Gave my MTB a proper wash after neglecting it for a couple of months (for obvious reasons of course - water restriction) but we got tanks, and I only used a 500ml spray bottle (refilled it twice) to wash the bike. 

Did the Dirt Road Challenge yesterday and must say the bike rides like a totally new bike. It is really amazing. The wheelset is also a lot softer (not so bumpy compared to my old Syncros) and the wide rim is just out of the world. Not to mention that my bike had a massive weight saving, weighing at 9.5kg.

Overall very impressed with the wheelset and love the hub noise.

Archived