Riding the Rhine River cycle route

dirtman

Day 4: Tuesday 29 August. Stein-am-Rhein to Waldshut. 80 km

Another hot day. Another beautiful stage with lots of gravel forest paths - ideal for the Maxis Crossmarks. Highlight of the day was to find an old border crossing between Switzerland and Germany on one of the forest paths. With a bit of imagination one could see German soldiers in a little hut guarding the crossing during WW2. An unexpected number of climbs - total climbing of 500 meters.  Visited the Rhein falls near Scaffhausen - quite an impressive sight. 

Again realized that Europe is an absolute cycling heaven - route options by the dozens, loads of dedicated cycle paths, no danger riding on public roads, etc. 

Day 5:  Wed 30 August - rest day in Waldshut

Did our washing and did a train trip through the Black Forest in Germany.

I had the pleasure of visiting Schaffhausen on numerous occasions when my brother used to live there. Beautiful part of the world. Did numerous rides through the Black Forest and around Lake Constance.

Awesome bucket list experience.  

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks brilliant!! Thank you for sharing!!

I noted that you are riding a Brooks saddle, was this specifically bought for touring or is this your day to day saddle? 

I noted that you are riding a Brooks saddle, was this specifically bought for touring or is this your day to day saddle? 

The Brooks is now my day to day saddle, but I bought it a year ago with the tour in mind.  Over the last 10 years I had tried most brands of saddles, but with every 3 day ride like the Sani or W2W my bum was toast by day 3.  Even on 5 hour rides my bum would give me problems, so I decided to go the Brooks way.  Best decision ever - can now ride for days on end without any bum problems.   Will never ride with any other brand of saddle again.

Very good to read.  Bucket list stuff.

Thanks for sharing.  I read it with great interest and envy.

Thank you

Archived