[Event] Transcape MTB

Events Bot

Event Name: Transcape MTB
When: 4 February 2018 - 10 February 2018
Where: Knysna, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Our Mission

TransCapeMTB has pioneered the premium, small field, stage race concept in South Africa and it is our mission to ensure that the event continues to deliver one of the very best multi-stage, endurance mountain biking experience is the world.

In addition to offering a truly world class customer experience, TransCapeMTB also has a mission to ensure we make a real difference to the people through who’s land we travel. This we do via various fundraising activities that benefit numerous charities and education initiatives along our route. Our initiatives also focus heavily on job creation and skills development.

Race History

You’ve heard the cliché ‘It is about the journey, not the destination’, right? Well, the thing is that you cannot have a proper journey without a Point A and a Point B. This is what first got us started on the TransCape MTB concept …

We’ve done dozens of South African MTB Stage Races and rides, and the ones we’ve enjoyed most have been those events that took us on a linear journey through this wonderful country we call home. You start somewhere real and you finish somewhere real.

Progression along a multi-day journey such as this goes hand in hand with your personal transformation, passing through the landscape experiencing the scenery from forest to fynbos to grassland to desert – and then all the way back again – your soul and your spirit will soar in tandem with the geographic ebb and flow.

We’ve said all along that for us, ‘it is about the ride, not about the race’. We want all our TransCape MTB riders to have the time to immerse themselves within every nuance their route will offer on the day. The smell of the Karoo scrub as you pedal through the Rooiberg; the distant rumble of thunder as summer storms strafe the plains beyond Calitzdorp; the raucous racketing call of Knysna touraco in the Podocarpus Yellowwoods towering above you and your bike as you navigate the forests from the starting line…

Don’t get us wrong. We know the needs of the mountain biking fraternity, and that there will always be people out there keen to put the hammer down and race for the line. But we also want those Regular Joe’s, Weekend Warriors and Middle-Packers to be an integral part of this amazing TransCape MTB journey.

Our dream is that our route organiser will make you fall in love with the countryside the route will traverse. Small towns you’ve barely heard of will pop up on your radar and, instead of creating the archetypal race village, we’d like our riders to disperse into these “dorpies”, eating “koeksisters” and downing mugs of “boeretroos”, while soaking up the special spirit of the “Platteland”.

To end off, we feel that some of the humanity has been lost in the process of creating MTB races which pass through towns without bringing lasting benefit. TransCape MTB will be slick, but it will always have heart, and we will engage with everyone – including those non-bike people we pass on the way – to share our special brand of passion.

Go to Event Page

• 1 year later...