George December rides

Vermooten

Good day, I will be staying in George till the new year and have a short bucket list. I would like to ride the seven passes road to Knysna and take the car back, and on another occasion do the Montagu pass.

Are these roads safe to cycle alone, or should I rather ask for some volunteers to do these rides with me?

They are safe enough, just note that during December the 7 passes route between George and Wildernes is quite busy, so try to pass that section early in the morning.

I would also not recommend riding up Outiniqua pass.

Hope you get to ride some of the trails in the area too, some great work has been done by Hillbillies Mountain Bike Club, check out their FB page. Then again, you are perhaps aware already. Have a great holiday!

I wouldn't recommend the seven passes road, we were almost taken out twice...and that was in a bakkie! They drive like ken block drifting through the corners, also the area is really dry so even if you do make it you'll probably be coughing up dust for the next week... in short not a good idea but I'm sure that there are people that will say it's perfectly safe... side note go ride garden route trail park or harkeville

Do what you want to do. Traffic pics up in the area a lot this time of year. But, last year i rode the bit from George to Wilderness - this is not a gravel section - and back without incident. On another ride i switched onto the N2 from Wilderness and rode all the way to Knysna - i am still alive. Advice I got from locals was that although there is always a risk heading out early before traffic pics ups is best. I am doing these same routes again next week. Biggest risk i faced last year was the GoGeorge buses, they are maniacs!!

Edited by williejr

Thanks for the tips. I will check out the FB page. There is a bike Park opposite the Le Grand gholf estate, I haven't been there in a long time- is it still worth checking out?

A mate and I were planning on taking on 7-Passes during this time. Is it really that bad?

I live along that route, well, very close, never had issues on my bicycle but to be fair I stay off this route in holiday season, rather hit the Garden Route Trail Park. I have had a few close shaves on the dirt bike with folks in bakkies giving it horns!

Watch out for the timber trucks too, they drive real fast and take up a lot of road. I have no idea on their work schedule over December though.

Hoogekraal road off Karatara road (N2 east of Sedgefield) is a beautiful climb coming out on the Seven Passes road just west of the gravel. Head toward Hoekwil (tar) then and turn off left toward Segefield and Swartvlei on a gravel road that heads through the farm lands before dropping down to Bolangvlei road. Head left to Sedgefield at the bottom of the hill or straight on to Wilderness.

A nice mix of tar and mostly gravel road.

Hope you get to do Seven Passes, it is beautiful and really worth it

If you want big distance and beautiful seclusion, head over Montagu Pass then through Paarde Poort and follow the Kamanasie Road, comes out on the N9 south of Uniondale.

Big day out!

Enjoy our area!