Road bike needed for good cause.

dangerdan

Hi all. I have a that has been diagnosed with cancer. At the office we have few people that cycle and want to start a campain to support her. I am looking for a road bike that I can use in races with the rest of the team. I am willing to buy a bike but wont be able to spend a fortune. Any assistance or advise will be appreciated. I am based in jhb

Hi all. I have a that has been diagnosed with cancer. At the office we have few people that cycle and want to start a campain to support her. I am looking for a road bike that I can use in races with the rest of the team. I am willing to buy a bike but wont be able to spend a fortune. Any assistance or advise will be appreciated. I am based in jhb

What size do you need?

I am 1.88 tall. Someone suggested a m/l frame

I am 1.83 and ride L.  Medium will probably be too small.  Go to a Cycle Lab or other bike shop and get measured - they can then advise on the proper size bike.

I have a Felt F85 10speed for R6500-00 if interested size 56(L)

Hi. Can you give me some info about the bike please

Make sure what your goals are. Carbon bikes are very nice, but bit more expensive. Depending on the distances you want to cover, and how often you are going to race, you will have to decide between a nice frame or nice gears. 

You will want to upgrade within 6 months.......

I am 1,77 and use a 56. 

I want to do it in support for her. I haven’t really set out goals. But I want to do races to raise support and awarness.

I want to wade in on another aspect.

How much riding have you done ? In other words did you ride a bike as a kid ?

I ask this because of the way road bikes handle.

If you have not ridden a lightweight carbon fibre type bike before, rather ask to test one. Lightweight bikes (but not just weight related) are described as "twitchy", meaning they react rather swiftyly to any form of body movement, positional change etc. If you are not used to this it can be down right dangerous.

Older, more "heavy" bikes are less reactive and tend to be more forgiving. You can swerve a little and when you try dodge something or over/under steer the bike still keeps you upright.

Again, all this depends on skill level. But if you are not competent in your bike skills, dont think that carbon is the best starting point.

I have a mtb. Ride it every now and then. But want to ‘compete’ with the other guys. My plan is to train on the mtb and do races with the road bike. I havent been on my bike for about 9months

Edited by dangerdan

loads of folk may disagree with me, but rather than buy a high end bike, consider the mid range. And ask your buddies to ride their bikes. Hitting a manhole cover on a lightweight carbon bike at 60 km/hr is totally different to hitting it with a medium weight mid range bike.

Dan, with regards the bike you posted, that little ding on the frame might be a worry.

In how much of a rush are you ?

Also what is your budget?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Can you give me some info about the bike please

Apologies for getting back now only was away.

10 speed micro shifters

Alex rims

alu frame

post-701-0-16507400-1515753477_thumb.jpg