road casette/derailer on MTB

JTK

HI guys,

not knowing anything about road bikes and not wanting to learn by buying... Lets say I have a MTB specific frame. Any issues runniing a road casette derailer on there? Question stems from wanting to use a mtb frame on my tacxflux. From what I gather on the net...  up to 9speed you can use mtb shifters for road kit. lLease assist if I am mistaken. If this is the case. then I can put a 9spd 11/28 shimano casette and road derailer on a mtb frame and run it with a mtb front crank using perhaps the top two rings only to account for obvious chain length issues... All this whiles using 9spd shifter front and back off a mtb? Am I missing the boat? and then also, where can I find a functional set of 9spd cassette/derailer to use perhaps?

That is definielty one way of doing it.

But, I would suggest rather doing the following - Purchase an old road bike such as the following:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/284256-trek-10-speed-road-bicycle-negotiable/

This will be a lot less hassle than attempting to find 9 speed parts (they are available, but require some searching). Also, spares will become harder and harder to find. 10 speed is still widely available and then you would also have a bike that is already setup on the trainer - no need to have to mount a bike each time you want to ride, you just hop on and go.

AFAIK the indexing should be the same. Big difference which you’ve already mentioned is the cage length due to the much wider ratios on a MTB. So if you stick to 2X9 then should be ok. I’m sure 9s stuff if going cheap cheap in the classifieds.

That is definielty one way of doing it.

But, I would suggest rather doing the following - Purchase an old road bike such as the following:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/284256-trek-10-speed-road-bicycle-negotiable/

This will be a lot less hassle than attempting to find 9 speed parts (they are available, but require some searching). Also, spares will become harder and harder to find. 10 speed is still widely available and then you would also have a bike that is already setup on the trainer - no need to have to mount a bike each time you want to ride, you just hop on and go.

Have given this some thought. The only issue I face with a MTB vs Road frame is really the compatibility between sizing. Let me explain.. I want my wife to make use of the trainer as well. It is, to me anyways (and not really knowing road frames) much easier to make the MTB frame compatible between us as what it appears to be making a road frame? Or am I mistaken. About 10cm height diffs between us...

If I had to go the road frame route. How would I bridge the size diffs? I am 175 and she around 166. So probably a 53cm?

OK. seems 1x anything is possible. You make the chain length to pull the derailer in front of the foot on the larger sprockets. Rather put it this way. 1x9 works... I must just decide chainring before chain length adjustment...  Am sure 1x10 should work the same way. 1x11 may just also work as long as the large chainring is not to severe

Archived