Garmin LiveTrack Units of Measure

Neville Bailey

I have the Garmin Edge 520 and have it set up so that LiveTrack automatically starts when I start a ride, with an automatic email notification to my better half. Works like a charm - she has peace of mind knowing where I am riding.

One thing that bugs me is that the default unit of measure on the LiveTrack map is statute (imperial) rather than metric, and she has to adjust that setting every time she opens the map. I have checked my default settings in the Garmin Connect app as well as on my 520 and it is set to metric, yet the problem persists.

Is there anything I am missing? Or is it a bug that will hopefully be fixed in a future update?

Perhaps the settings in your Strava app?

Edit: Assuming you are using Strava Beacon

Edited by 428 others

I have the exact same annoyance - so am following this hoping for a solution.

Strava should not have any effect on Garmin  - - but if there is some thinking around this, my Strava is set to metric

My GF asked the same thing a while back  (using Livetrack on Edge 820 and also enabled Strava Beacon, but it never seems to mail her)....

Maybe she must create an account on connect and set the units?

Will be following this! I have the same issue with the imperial units, as well as emails not being sent. I’m using the Edge 820.

I have the Garmin Edge 520 and have it set up so that LiveTrack automatically starts when I start a ride, with an automatic email notification to my better half. Works like a charm - she has peace of mind knowing where I am riding.

One thing that bugs me is that the default unit of measure on the LiveTrack map is statute (imperial) rather than metric, and she has to adjust that setting every time she opens the map. I have checked my default settings in the Garmin Connect app as well as on my 520 and it is set to metric, yet the problem persists.

Is there anything I am missing? Or is it a bug that will hopefully be fixed in a future update?

Hi Neville,

I had a similar problem and solved it by syncing/ pairing the phone and device via blue-tooth on the phone rather than syncing via Garmin Connect on one's computer. Ensure all the metric settings are correct first.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers.