2x10 to 1x11 SRAM conversion- help needed

Fabian46

Hi all, I’m in the process of converting my SRAM 2x10 setup to SRAM 1x11. I already have the following :

Sram 11 spd 10-42 cassette

SRAM 11 spd chain

XD free body

Current crank is SRAM X9 2x10 GXP. I would like to use the GXP Spider.

Shifter is 10spd SRAM X7. Is that little converter thingy still available from RAPIDE to make it 11 spd?

RD is SRAM XO, not sure if it’s medium or long

Rear Hub is X9, with normal quick release axle.

What do I need to finish this conversion besides the obvious front chain ring?

Would really appreciate some direction.

Cheers

That little conversion thingy is not such a great invention.... have helped two people to use them and they really are finicky... rather get a 11spd NX shifter and NX derailleur or one of the many 11spd shifters and derailleurs currently on the Hub since the frenzy to go to Eagle.

I see that you'd like to stay with a spider.... consider the weight and reliability benefit of a DM chainring.... There are now chainring bolts, there is no spider.

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-forged-dm-ring-6mm-offset/

That little conversion thingy is not such a great invention.... have helped two people to use them and they really are finicky... rather get a 11spd NX shifter and NX derailleur or one of the many 11spd shifters and derailleurs currently on the Hub since the frenzy to go to Eagle.

I see that you'd like to stay with a spider.... consider the weight and reliability benefit of a DM chainring.... There are now chainring bolts, there is no spider.

Finicky to fit or when adjusting the gears? Just wondering as I have been using one for quite some time without any issues .... I found fitting quite simple when following the included instructions.

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

That little conversion thingy is not such a great invention.... have helped two people to use them and they really are finicky... rather get a 11spd NX shifter and NX derailleur or one of the many 11spd shifters and derailleurs currently on the Hub since the frenzy to go to Eagle.

I see that you'd like to stay with a spider.... consider the weight and reliability benefit of a DM chainring.... There are now chainring bolts, there is no spider.

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-forged-dm-ring-6mm-offset/[/e

Those don’t come in the 30t that I’m looking for.

I also believe the 10sp RD can be used with some adjustment if needed

Not so sure about that statement.

Used mine for well over a year (including a few multiday races, J2C, etc) and had no problems with it. Shifter was 10 spd X9, rear derailer 10spd X0, took a bit of time to get it dialed in, once it was dialed it, 11spd bliss. :clap:

Only took it of when I got the NX upgrade kit.

Finicky to fit or when adjusting the gears? Just wondering as I have been using one for quite some time without any issues .... I found fitting quite simple when following the included instructions.

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

With the XO shifter/derailleur combo you have to drill a rivet out to get out the old ratchet gear. Similarly with the combo XX also. With the XX it was time consuming to get the top gear to shift down. Never tried it on X9 or X7.

With the XO shifter/derailleur combo you have to drill a rivet out to get out the old ratchet gear. Similarly with the combo XX also. With the XX it was time consuming to get the top gear to shift down. Never tried it on X9 or X7.

Ah ok, I used it with an X9 shifter

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Also used the Rapide converter with a XO shifter and derailleur. Easy enough to fit but the shifting was never as crisp and precise as a proper 11 speed setup.

That little ratchet converter isn’t available from RAPIDE anymore. I see the Nx 11spd shifters also out of stock.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, almost at the end of this conversion, and I’ve hit a speed bump.

I have an older x9 SRAM rear hub. The bike shop said I needed a XD driver to work with the 10-42 cassette. I bought one.

Now they say the X9 hub and XD DRIVER I bought is compatible, and want to sell me a shimano 11-42 cassette which I don’t really want.

How can I get this X9 hub and XD driver to work?