Garmin Edge / Strava elevation correction

jatho

I have on a number of occasions had a 10 - 15 % discrepancy when riding with my mate. Both on the same route, generally side by side. If we stop and compare altitude, the units agree, but his always reads significantly higher total climb than mine. When I have tried to correct with Strava, it knocks another 8-10% off, so I am buggered if I know how accurate or not my 520 is.

I recorded my flight back from CPT to JNB on Tuesday, just to see what data it spits out afterwards. Didn’t get any KOM’s so I deleted it from Strava... [emoji12]

The elevation gain was 12683m (Strava) and 12607m (Garmin Connect) with the elevation correction disabled. With elevation correction on it shows a 20144m gain on GC.

The graph for the elevation correction shows the profile as if I were driving over the mountains on the flight path, versus driving around the mountain on the road.

Elevation correction disabled:

7be194a9413a6a2e15492905eaf26330.jpg

Elevation correction enabled:

4f3d7ad6729d98c11be2601a323ff877.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember the cabin is pressurized so that you don't altitude sickness, so again if it is a device with a barometer in it, GPS height will say 1 thing, pressure will say something else...

Edited by dave303e