Beginners low budget guide

manskobus

Hi Yes I've gathered that its the frame size that matters and not the wheel size. Still very new to this.

I'm still not sure that spending that much money on a bike is worth it for me just yet. I've looked trough the classifieds and see a lot of recommended bikes for my price range. 

I Guess I should look at a higher price range but then it will have to wait a whole while. 

What you need to realize is that while a better bike might cost more to begin with. It really is better to spend the cash upfront instead of cheaping out. We're apposed to the Makro bike not only because its cheap. Or because its a terrible bike which will offer a terrible experience. But because its a good way of burning R3500 of your hard earned cash. And that's a lot of money to burn. I say that because its not a bike worth upgrading should you like this mountain biking business. But it also offers nothing in terms of resale value should you decide against this mountain biking business. Which, as you might imagine. Is highly probable considering the ride quality of the bike in question. The makro bike is not cheap bike. Its an expensive piece of ***.

Mountain biking is an expensive sport. Regular proper mtb riding requires ongoing proper maintenance.

In the end you don't mind spending the money cos it is LEKKER

What you need to realize is that while a better bike might cost more to begin with. It really is better to spend the cash upfront instead of cheaping out. We're apposed to the Makro bike not only because its cheap. Or because its a terrible bike which will offer a terrible experience. But because its a good way of burning R3500 of your hard earned cash. And that's a lot of money to burn. I say that because its not a bike worth upgrading should you like this mountain biking business. But it also offers nothing in terms of resale value should you decide against this mountain biking business. Which, as you might imagine. Is highly probable considering the ride quality of the bike in question. The makro bike is not cheap bike. Its an expensive piece of ***.

Yes I agree. Definitely not going with a makro bike i'm convinced that its a waste of money. My next step is to research second hand bikes that can be upgraded or have already been upgraded. 

I checked the Makro link you provided.

That bike has not one bit of descent equipment on it.

If you are going with Shimano equipment get at least the Deore range.

The frame, shock and Fork are not even recognizable as acceptable equipment.Buying a bike like that will not give you the experience of what a Mtb should feel like.

Good luck !

Im sure you will get a good deal on the Hub

I disagree on the Deore statement. Alivio, Altus and Acera are more than competent, especially for a beginner.

Hi Yes I've gathered that its the frame size that matters and not the wheel size. Still very new to this.

I'm still not sure that spending that much money on a bike is worth it for me just yet. I've looked trough the classifieds and see a lot of recommended bikes for my price range. 

I Guess I should look at a higher price range but then it will have to wait a whole while. 

For what it's worth, I started on decent 2nd hand 26' hardtail as I didn't want to splash too much if i didn't stick to it. I gave myslef 6 months (end of year at the time) to then make a serious plan to buy a nice bike if i'm still riding enjoying it. You should find a lot of decent 26' hardtail to start with. Then you get fit, understand what type of riding you want to do (single track, jeep tracks, trails etc), learn more about bikes, all the tools to eventually make an informed decision when you're hooked (you will be) and are ready to upgrade to your long term bike

Archived