MTB Wheel predicament

BikeisLife

I have a set of rims from a Fuel EX 5 that is up for sale.

The front has a "Boost 110" hub.

Certainly NOT the carbon set you are saving up for, but then again you can have these at a steal ... use it while you save up, then sell it again.

Drop me a PM if you are interested.

I'm with Myles's earlier comment, don't see the need for Boost on an XC-marathon bike. Especially on the front end. Inappropriate application of technology. You could find yourself tempted into 30mm internal width rims with Maxxis DHF tyre. Ok if you want to do weight training or enduro, but Top Fuel 9.9 is an XC racing machine!

I'm with Myles's earlier comment, don't see the need for Boost on an XC-marathon bike. Especially on the front end. Inappropriate application of technology. You could find yourself tempted into 30mm internal width rims with Maxxis DHF tyre. Ok if you want to do weight training or enduro, but Top Fuel 9.9 is an XC racing machine!

Going to get rid of my front wheel anyway so I might as well get a boost fork with a boost wheel. And I have been given the opportunity to swap my 120mm fork with a 100mm boost fork and front hub.

Also, the frame is boost so would prefer a boost fork to match the frame and makes life easier in the future when I do plan on getting a second wheelset and I don't have to mix and match.

I have a set of rims from a Fuel EX 5 that is up for sale.

The front has a "Boost 110" hub.

Certainly NOT the carbon set you are saving up for, but then again you can have these at a steal ... use it while you save up, then sell it again.

Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer Chris!

Think the wheelset will be a bit heavy for my liking though. I have made the decision to build up a new front wheel.

30mm rims would work wonders for most skinny xc race tyres in the grip departement. 

30mm rims would work wonders for most skinny xc race tyres in the grip departement. 

From personal experience, a rim with more than 27mm inner width opens a 2.1-2.25" tyre too much causing the side knobs to engage too soon as you lean in to turn. 30mm rims work well for tyres 2.3" and wider.

From personal experience, a rim with more than 27mm inner width opens a 2.1-2.25" tyre too much causing the side knobs to engage too soon as you lean in to turn. 30mm rims work well for tyres 2.3" and wider.

Interesting... maybe you just lean harder than the folks I've heard from :P

Hi all,

I need some advice please...

I have just purchased a Trek Top Fuel 9.9 that came with a 120mm fork on so I have made arrangements to swap it for a 100mm boost fork (Original Spec). The guy swapping with me has been nice enough to offer me a boost hub as well. I now am stuck in making a decision as to what to do about a front wheel. The hub is a Lyne 28 hole boost front hub. 

My main focus is xc/marathon racing and I will train on the bike every weekend. 

I have looked at the Lyne Wheelsets but unfortunately you have to purchase that as a full wheelset so that is pointless considering I already have a Hope4 boost hub laced to a Rapide on the rear.

My next thought was to build a wheel with the Lyne hub and a Rapide rim but unfortunately they don't look like they come in a 28 hole version. 

So that brought me here... What rim should I be looking at? or what are my options? 

My end goal will be to build a wheelset with Carbon hoops laced to Hope 4 boost hubs but unfortunately my bank account turns down this option for me at the moment.

Any help/advice will be gladly appreciated :thumbup:

This is what I did since my wheels "DC Carbon" allow for adapters to adapt 100mm, 110mm or quick release, I checked if they do the 110mm boost and was told that I have to buy a new hub which I didn't want to do so I had adapters machined from aero grade aluminium. The hub I adapted is a Powerway M32 straight pull hub

Original wheel with hub that came with the bike

post-4227-0-61395800-1518686255_thumb.jpg

post-4227-0-17058600-1518686920_thumb.jpg

Wheelset that I adapted Only the front wheel since the rear is a 142 through axle

post-4227-0-94871800-1518686361_thumb.jpg

Adapters

post-4227-0-12770300-1518686393_thumb.jpg

Edited by DC Carbon

This is what I did since my wheels "DC Carbon" allow for adapters to adapt 100mm, 110mm or quick release, I checked if they do the 110mm boost and was told that I have to buy a new hub which I didn't want to do so I had adapters machined from aero grade aluminium. The hub I adapted is a Powerway M32 straight pull hub

Original wheel with hub that came with the bike

attachicon.gifIMG_0121.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0122.JPG

Wheelset that I adapted Only the front wheel since the rear is a 142 through axle

attachicon.gifIMG_0637.JPG

Adapters

attachicon.gifIMG_0225.JPG

What did those hoops set you back if you don't mind me asking?