New frame or new bike

Zorro5614

Hi guys

Looking at upgrading my hardtail to a dual suspension.  Specifically a light and affordable XC frame.  Cheaper the better, but would probably like to stay under R20 000. I currenly ride the following

2014 Momsen SL929 frame

Full XT M8000 groupset (1x11)

Rapide carbon flatbar with Rapide 60mm stem

KCNC Pro Lite Scandium 27.2mm seatpost with Fizik Gobi M3 saddle

Look S-Track pedals

Stans Crest MK3 wheels with Maxxis Ikons

Will it be more cost effective just buying a frame (as I am satisfied with all the components above, but the frame) or to sell and buy a new bike?

Seems that most bikes shops in my area are reluctant to do any effort regarding getting frame only options.  Also seems that getting a frame or new XC dual suspension close to 11-11.5kg is very expensive.  My current Momsen comes in just under 10kg

Thanks in advance

Speak to Louis at Knipe_Racing.  (the bike shop at Meerendal)

I have seen some of his PYGA projects for clients ..... (though that may be more than you want to spend now)

Pfft my alu tallboy came in at something like 12kg with mostly alu bits.

Its more now since I changed it for trail riding. 

Frame only is a curse word inside a bike shop it seems.

Pretty sure its something they make very little profit from.

Williams bikes in somerset west does frames, As does CWC.

Getting in under 20k for a frame only is rather ambitious, your looking at more like 20-30k. 

I managed to get hold of an alloy Giant Anthem through my lbs.  Weight wise it comes to 11.5kg's with pedals, built up with SRAM GX 1x11, fairly lightweight wheels otherwise nothing too weightweenieish.

I managed to get hold of an alloy Giant Anthem through my lbs. Weight wise it comes to 11.5kg's with pedals, built up with SRAM GX 1x11, fairly lightweight wheels otherwise nothing too weightweenieish.

+1 on the Anthem. Picked up an Anthem X frameset for very reasonable money. Built over my other parts and now have a pretty solid XC bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a frame. Your kit sounds pretty dialed. For sure resale on your existing g frame won't be that good but chances are you'll not make that much on the full bike sale and most dual sus' bikes you will be looking at won't have that level of spec'

There are a lot of great frames that come up in the classified here. You'll get a much better deal and with 20k you'll get a beauty. In my mind pre loved is the way to go or check a lot of the sites overseas and ship over. It's pretty easy with something like CRC, Evans, Merlin etc. I've even bought if eBay / Pink bike and had no issues but you have to take a bit of a chance but it's risk vs reward. Reward is you can get killer deals and prices are way cheaper.

I managed to get hold of an alloy Giant Anthem through my lbs.  Weight wise it comes to 11.5kg's with pedals, built up with SRAM GX 1x11, fairly lightweight wheels otherwise nothing too weightweenieish.

I will try contacting a few Giant shops in Cape Town

Why not buy a complete dual suspension, swap out the parts that aren't as good, and flog a complete hardtail instead? Obviously you'll need to do the homework on money maths but it may be worthwhile

Do you guys know where one can get a 2017 Momsen Vipa One or Two frame or a 2018 Momsen Vipa Race One or Two frame?  Should I just contact Momsen directly?

Just need a frame with 100mm travel upfront