Chain wear

JJDT

Does a NW chainring on a 1X conversion accelerate chain wear? Upgraded to 1x11 in September 2017 and do not do that much riding. A quick guess is that I did about 1500km's of riding and the chain needs replacing.

How does the KMC chains compare to Shimano and Sram?

Bought a new bike with 1x11 last year and done almost 1600km. My Park Tools Chain checkers 0.5% is not close to dropping in yet, hope it goed more than 2000km (which is generally what I get on my 2x10).

I do try and stay away from mud if I can, but the bike had a couple of muddy rides. I just clean as soon as possible after the mud.

What chain lube do you use? Was your chain ever noisy? How is your chain line?

Cannot speak as to KMC compared to Shimano or Sram but you should get much more than 1500 km from a chain on a 1x system

Nope, just the opposite. No cross shifting so chain should lat longer

What’s cross shifting?

I replace my chains after 1500km. Always have always will, gets long life out of the cassette that way. Chains are cheap, cassettes not so much...

Very strange...

I used a KMC 10spd chain on my MTB (1 x 10) and got 3000km plus on the chain (swopped between two chains).

I regularly cleaned my chain and only de-greased it once a month.

Please note: I am a very light rider, this could also play a role in the wear-and-tear.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Upgraded to 1x11 in September 2017 and do not do that much riding. 

Did your upgrade include the cassette or was that used?  

I replace my chains after 1500km. Always have always will, gets long life out of the cassette that way. Chains are cheap, cassettes not so much...

Does this really work out cheaper or is it also groupset dependant? In my case (ultegra) new chain cost 620 rand and cassette 1400 rand. Replacing chain every 1500km is the same as buying new chain and cassette every 5000km. Just asking because have heard this often but it does not compute in my brain.