Advice buying a new fork

Hello Ruan

Hi guys,

Okay so hopefully I can get this sorted before the fork sells. I want to buy a new fork, I just want to know will the Rapide hub that I will link work if I rebuild my current wheel on it? Or can anyone please link me a front hub that I will need to buy to fit onto my current front wheel to run this fork?

Rapide hub: https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-ultralight-pro-front-hub/

Fork I want to buy: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/298337-fox-fit-32-talas-adjusts-130-150mm-ctd-650b/

Fork and wheels I currently have just scroll down to the details everything is still stock on the bike: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/stance-27dot5-2-2015

If that Rapide will work is it a good choice or are there better / safer options?

Thanks a lot guys

Hi Raun.

That fork will work on that Hub, as the hub comes with 15mm thru axle caps.. The fork you want to buy is for 26" wheels, up to 27.5" but I'm sure your aware of that :-) I don't have any info on the hub its self, but do believe Rapide products in general are fairly good, it is a good price. make sure the spoke amount on your rim matches that of the Hub.

Cheers,  :thumbup:

Hi Raun.

That fork will work on that Hub, as the hub comes with 15mm thru axle caps.. The fork you want to buy is for 26" wheels, up to 27.5" but I'm sure your aware of that :-) I don't have any info on the hub its self, but do believe Rapide products in general are fairly good, it is a good price. make sure the spoke amount on your rim matches that of the Hub.

Cheers,  :thumbup:

Awesome thanks man, yeah I have quite a few Rapide products I just need to know if it will all work nicely together. And jip I know it is for 26" but I have been looking for a fork and this is best deal so far.

What T-Bag said but also be aware that your bike was designed with 120mm of travel so not sure how it will handle with the extra 30mm. Yes you can just set it to 130mm but then what's the point of having a fork capable of 150mm.

What T-Bag said but also be aware that your bike was designed with 120mm of travel so not sure how it will handle with the extra 30mm. Yes you can just set it to 130mm but then what's the point of having a fork capable of 150mm.

Already did some research regarding the travel and the frame will handle 140mm easily some of the people run 150mm too but I will set it to 130mm I think. And buying a 150mm fork is sort of like buying for the future, I will upgrade my frame next and so on. Sell parts and buy new second hand parts sort of work out cheaper, upgrade piece by piece.

regarding the fork.

just check if you have a OD2 headset, if so you may need a need new stem (or shim) and a new headset as the OD2 is a little larger than a "normal" tapered steerer 

The real question now is, will 2.3 - 2.4 tyres have clearance in the fork?

I have a 26" Fox 36 and I run eThirteen 27.5 x 2.35" tires with no issue, tire clearance is small but ok.

regarding the fork.

just check if you have a OD2 headset, if so you may need a need new stem (or shim) and a new headset as the OD2 is a little larger than a "normal" tapered steerer

Giant ditched the OD2 in 2015 and only started making the Stance in 2015. Already measured the top tube of the fork tube to double check it is a normal tapered fork tube, thank goodness.

I have a 26" Fox 36 and I run eThirteen 27.5 x 2.35" tires with no issue, tire clearance is small but ok.

A 36 and a 32 are two vastly different things.

OP, a 32 won't be great at 150mm. Nor will it have much tyre clearance if you're running it with 275 wheels. Rather keep looking for something with 34mm stanchions at least.

when Buying a fork i always go for Stainless steel... them plastic ones never last....

Sorry it Mini-Friday... i couldn't resist :)

Am I wrong or does the ad not say that its a 650b fork? 

And that running it with 26 inch wheels was just a moot suggestion?

If its a 26er fork which could handle 650b wheels then the add is very misleading.

If its a 26er fork which could handle 650b wheels then the add is very misleading.

You are correct it is a 650b fork according to the ad...I'd say go for it @ Hello Ruan.

I also got that from the ad.

Haha now you all got me confused but it does seem like it is a 650b fork, but I did google and most where 26" but I just realized this is from the looks of thing the 2014 model and it does have a 650b and most articles are about the 2010-2012 ones.

Archived