Ceramic

desmondalie

Now I've read up on the advantages of using ceramic bearings, and I've decides to go this way starting out with my BB.

How do you know which BB's are compatible with your cranks and bike. I have a Ultegra Crank with dura ace bottom  bracket currently (2007 10 speed).

Any techincal guys or gals out there that could shed some light on this one?

I've got a FSA Ceramic Mega Exo on my race bike with Dura Ace cranks.

After seeing the difference that ceramic bearing jockey wheels spin at the stand at the Argus expo, I'm convinced.

Weirdos. Ceramic bearings for a bicycle should go in the same basket of over-hyped marketing cr@p as WSD, Power Meters, Carbon Fibre, TT Bars and the other "technological advancements".

You really think so? I have changed my jockey wheels to the kcnc ceramic ones, and was amased at how stiff the old ones were compared to the ceramis ones. I ma convinced as well - it does work!

And you go faster now? You are stronger? Fatigue less quickly? Increased power output? Where's your empirical data? I don't trust anecdotes. Give me science! And by that I don't mean something you goooooogled... All those studies are taken from ceramic bearings used in other fields (where there is real benefit), and the findings extrapolated to bicycle use, where the loads and speeds are too low for ceramics to offer any tangible benefit.

You really think so? I have changed my jockey wheels to the kcnc ceramic ones' date=' and was amased at how stiff the old ones were compared to the ceramis ones. I ma convinced as well - it does work![/quote']

I replaced my old ones with the KCNC sealed bearing ones and I can feel the difference. Maybe it's just a good manufacturer.

I'm sure you also get good and bad quality ceramic bearing the same as you get good and bad quality steal bearing.

I am not trying to debate whether it works or not. I am convinced it works, just need some guidance on what to buy and where the best place is to buy it.

I am not trying to debate whether it works or not. I am convinced it works' date=' just need some guidance on what to buy and where the best place is to buy it.

[/quote']

Shame. I guess what PT Barnum said is true then.

You're convinced they work. PT Barnum said " There's a sucker born every minute".

No worries, look at it this way, at least all these manufacturers marketing money is well spent.

(edit: well, PT Barnum is universally credited with saying it, but there is actually some historical debate around that...)

TNT12008-06-02 05:27:14

According to you there is no proof that it does in deed offer some advantage. There is also no proof that it offers a disadvantage. All the literature I have read indicates it does offer an advantage.

Go ahead wait for your scientific proof, I am willing to try it out for myself right now.

Sceptics had similar things to say about carbon not too long ago, and today everyone rides carbon bikes.

According to you there is no proof that it does in deed offer some advantage. There is also no proof that it offers a disadvantage. All the literature I have read indicates it does offer an advantage.

Go ahead wait for your scientific proof' date=' I am willing to try it out for myself right now.

Sceptics had similar things to say about carbon not too long ago, and today everyone rides carbon bikes.
[/quote']

You go right ahead...

Fortunately, I'm not part of everyone thenWink

I do not think it adds any performance, as there are just too many inefficiencies in the human-bike-bearing interface.  It will probably last longer from a rust and dust perspective, but ceramic is more brittle than steel, so a hard impact can damage the bearing - this is, however, highly unlikely in a sealed bearing.

The benefits of ceramic bearings are at present far outweighed by the cost.

Sure, they have the benefit of reduces drivetrain powerloss as well as extended life, but this is very little when compared to losses induced by aerodynamic and frictional drag in the rest of the bike.

Beter results can be achieved by doing the following, in stated order:

(and I am generalising here! Tongue)

- Losing weight (Cost R0)

- Getting fitter (Cost R0)

- Changing posture (Cost R0)

- Making your biker lighter (How fast do you want to spend?)

- Making your bike more aerodynamic (Still have money left?)

- Getting ceramic bearings (Tour de France TT here we come!)

Rather buy beer...

- Losing weight (Cost R0)

Rather buy beer...

I think your advice may be somewhat contradictory...Smile