creating awareness of cyclists

I dont believe that signage will do the job' date=' it sure helps but is not enough.

You need to separate cyclist from motorists. I suggest that people should be allowed to use their cars only when it is dark, the rest of the time the roads should be exclusivly for bikes. and maybe babes on rollerblades.

Seriously. Bike Lanes are the only way to have safe® cycling. In the UK there are cameras photographing people driving in bike lanes. We have some way to go here though
[/quote']

FF, to a point, I agree. The only way we are going to reduce this fatality rate is by having a decent public transport system, thereby reducing the number of vehicles on the road, therefore it should make it safer. The other thing is, they need to re-introduce the bulk goods rail system. If only companies remained in the CBD area, instead of moving to Midrand, Fourways etc., there would have been a lot less trucks on the road today!

The government really needs to get it's Public and Bulk goods transport departments back into shape! This should also help with the rising food prices.

So we will have to wait and hope for the best!

Would numbers help Shaun? What about getting personalities involved like Andrew Mc etc.

I know it is the kind of thing CSA should be doing but couldn't we set up some kind of representative body or am I jumping the gun?

IanJ, the sadest thing is that people don't want to get involved!

Been talking to the new CSA, but does not look promising either!
shaunh2008-06-03 02:28:33

Guest Big H

I dont believe that signage will do the job' date=' it sure helps but is not enough.

You need to separate cyclist from motorists. I suggest that people should be allowed to use their cars only when it is dark, the rest of the time the roads should be exclusivly for bikes. and maybe babes on rollerblades.

Seriously. Bike Lanes are the only way to have safe® cycling. In the UK there are cameras photographing people driving in bike lanes. We have some way to go here though
[/quote']

Foe Vegter can you imagine yourself leading a peleton of lycra clad wannabees on a two meter wide cycling lane and a "babe on rollerblades" turns in front your peleton. CALAMITY.....cycling lanes will never work as they will be populated by everybody takes their doggie for a poopoo, ouma with kiddies on Pick and Pay bikes etc. How will this accommodate your lycra clad peleton of undernourished cyclists?????????

The shocker came as he was leaving when he said to me that it is a good idea for me to drive behind the riders because if I was not there they would have to get off the road for the cars. I told the guy that bicycles were allowed on the road. He assured me that they were not and had to pull off when cars came!!!!!

This comming from a idiot taxi driver that will stop on yellow lines and crossing lanes without considering other cars.smiley7.gif You probably handled the situation much better that I would havesmiley18.gif

Foe Vegter can you imagine yourself leading a peleton of lycra clad wannabees on a two meter wide cycling lane and a "babe on rollerblades" turns in front your peleton. CALAMITY

I knew a girl names Calamity once. mmmmmmSleepySleepySleepySleepy

Does any one know if you will be able to take your bike on the Gautrain?

Foe Vegter can you imagine yourself leading a peleton of lycra clad wannabees on a two meter wide cycling lane and a "babe on rollerblades" turns in front your peleton. CALAMITY.....cycling lanes will never work as they will be populated by everybody takes their doggie for a poopoo' date=' ouma with kiddies on Pick and Pay bikes etc. How will this accommodate your lycra clad peleton of undernourished cyclists?????????
[/quote']

Actualy Bike lanes do work, but they need to form part of an integrated transport solution, including Public Transport, bus / taxi lanes, appropreate road design. There is a great new cycle lane between Westlake and Lakeside, it works incredibly well. The topic of this thread was creating awareness. Only through giving cyclists their own designated part of the roads will such awareness be created. there are simply too many motorists who believe that cyclists dont have a rightt to be on the road.

[/quote']

FF, to a point, I agree. The only way we are going to reduce this fatality rate is by having a decent public transport system, thereby reducing the number of vehicles on the road, therefore it should make it safer. The other thing is, they need to re-introduce the bulk goods rail system. If only companies remained in the CBD area, instead of moving to Midrand, Fourways etc., there would have been a lot less trucks on the road today!

The government really needs to get it's Public and Bulk goods transport departments back into shape! This should also help with the rising food prices.

So we will have to wait and hope for the best!

The only sure way to improve road safety for cyclists is to increase the number of cyclists on the road.  Presence creates awareness.

Bike lanes are only safer if two things happen first:

Motorist behaviour is strictly and ruthlessly communicated, monitored and the law enforced.  Example: Left turning vehicles never have right of way over cyclists.

It is made clear to all road users that use of the cycle lane is not compulsory ie the cyclists may ride on the road but motor vehicles may not ride in the cycle lane.

You cant have your cake and eat it too, bike lanes should howver be wide enough for the reasonable use of bikes, which traveling at different speeds, require passing, so a lane that comfortably alllows to bikes abreast should be enough not to require bikes outside of the lane.
Foe Fighter2008-06-05 01:05:35

Totally agree about cycle lanes - a fantastic solution, if totally integrated. I regularly road in and out of London and the network of cycle lanes, whilst far from perfect, made a noticeable difference. Couple that with an employer who provided a place to lock bikes and shower facilities and I was a very happy cyclist (shame the job sucked LOL)

Didn't Helen Zillie make mention last year of making central CPT more cycle friendly, cycle lanes and all? With fuel prices going the way they are, and road safety being the way it is, surely this is a viable solution. Encourage and protect, making it more attractive and viable as an option.

I agree I used the cycle lanes in the UK and they worked pretty well, obviously the odd conflict but the system worked, particularly the holding area for cyclists in front of the traffic lights

There are plans afoot for three serious bike routes into the City, 1, through woodstock / obs, one from Gugs and another from Mitchels plein, I thing, this is a good start.

Guest Big H

Foe Vegter can you imagine yourself leading a peleton of lycra clad wannabees on a two meter wide cycling lane and a "babe on rollerblades" turns in front your peleton. CALAMITY.....cycling lanes will never work as they will be populated by everybody takes their doggie for a poopoo' date=' ouma with kiddies on Pick and Pay bikes etc. How will this accommodate your lycra clad peleton of undernourished cyclists?????????
[/quote']

Actualy Bike lanes do work, but they need to form part of an integrated transport solution, including Public Transport, bus / taxi lanes, appropreate road design. There is a great new cycle lane between Westlake and Lakeside, it works incredibly well. The topic of this thread was creating awareness. Only through giving cyclists their own designated part of the roads will such awareness be created. there are simply too many motorists who believe that cyclists dont have a rightt to be on the road.

A bicycle lane integrated with all the other services you mention above will just be another place where taxis can go faster and annoy law abiding motorists. You surely come very close to the truth.... awareness and respect first and then fancy things like bicycle lanes. How in heaven will you convince a cash strapped Metro that they need to expropriate land and build bicycle lanes.... pipe dreams my friend!!!!!! They do not even have enough money to maintain their own roads within the metro. Your duly elected government has other critical things to do, like who is next on the gravy train or who must staple the next consignment of condoms to the political party's flyer etc ect.

I re-iterate .......... Bicycle Roads in the current political climate in South Afica is a PIPE DREAM as long as it is built for the exclusive use of rich elitist lycra clad undernourished cyclists!!!!!!!!! Your DA auntie Helen was just trying to score brownie points when she came to power!!!!!!!
Big H2008-06-05 08:23:21