BMI and Bone Structure

FanieFiets

I have just had my annual medical and my doctor, who is a cyclist, did the whole BMI test thing and said afterwards that he is required to do it as its aprt of the report but the results are " merely " a guideline and he simply ignores the outcome. To many variables involved to be scientific.

As die persoon 'n paar grade en experience het, dan sal hulle weet dat BMI net 'n guide is, en nie as gospel gevat moet word nie.

Ek het self 'n paar grade, maar common sense het my al 'n hele paar embarrasing lesse geleer!

Guest Michelle

They use BMI when determining discounts on your life insurance policies... I think it's a load of rubbish... it doesn't take into account muscle mass / body fat.  You could have 2% body fat & you could be "obese" according to your BMI.

The Body IQ machines at Virgin Active are terribly inaccurate... it would be better to get one of the Biokineticists at the gym to measure your body fat using a set of callipers.

R2S2 - EK dink ek het verkeerd verduidelik. Sy het vir my gese dat BMI net 'n metode wat gebruik kan word as jy nie toegang tot ander metodes het nie. Ek wonder net hoe akkuraat haar masjien is want dit is en ek nog eintlik 'n paar kilo kan verloor.

Guest Michelle
FanieFiets: Chances are it was one of the Tanita handheld devices.  Callipers are better.. the ones where they pinch your bits of fat all over your body Wink

Sorry Fanie - didn't intend to sound like a real d@@s in my previous post, but managed to anyway.  My humblest apologies!

smiley9.gif

These BMI indexes are only guidelines.I am 1.74 m tall,my weight  at 77 kg's,have a fat percentage of 9%(tested at Garry Beneke with callipers) and stil my BMI sits on 25 which is high.