Riding in Marloth Park

Uni

I remember reading something about riding in Marloth Park but can't find anything.

Worth taking bikes along to explore? I don't necessarily want to go on game drives into the Kruger every day, and quite happy exploring on bicycle just on dirt roads. Safety around animals and in general. Thoughts?

Edited by Uni

I have ridden in Marloth before, scariest ride of my life, after surprising the 4th puffadder in 2km's I had enough. Stuck to running after that, I have never taken my bike to Marloth again.

Marloth is a great place to ride. Was there a couple of weeks back to round off my training for 36one. But look, you're in a game reserve (that's actually classified as town, but anyway) so there are risks. Snakes, Ostrich (I had a close encounter with a galloping herd), Spiders, Cars, Humans. There are however a lot of people who ride their bikes there. 

There was talk of some lion's having crossed over the river from Kruger and the community patrollers were asking people not to walk alone between 6am and 6pm. We didn't hear them or see them, and in fact, the entire park was behaving as if there weren't lions in the park. People walking alone unfazed during the day. Personally, I started to think it was a useful narrative for security and control by the patrollers. I mean, telling my kids to shut up else the lions would know where we were living worked a charm. Why not work the same charm with adults in keeping them indoors at dark?

There are a good few Strava segments around the park and the singletrack next to the fence along the River is a nice scenic ride with a few challenges. 

Take your bike!

I have ridden in Marloth before, scariest ride of my life, after surprising the 4th puffadder in 2km's I had enough. Stuck to running after that, I have never taken my bike to Marloth again.

Scarier than riding on the Woes Rand?

Cool, sold :) I can deal with snakes, ostriches might get me a PB.

Have already made arrangements with the friends, if the lions get me, save the bike

Came around a corner at pace and noticed one Ostrich in the road, who started to run away from me on the road. You know, like a Guinea Fowl, not veering off into the bush. Saw something move in the corner of my eye. It was another 7 ostrich emerging from the bush at same pace as me, who for some reason thought I was chasing their mate. They didn't like that idea. I was sandwiched between dumbass in front and the rest of the crew behind me. Family of four humans were on the road ahead watching this go down. As we approached the family (who did not move from their spots in the road) the ostrich veered around them - I went through middle saying f*&%!!!!!!!. Turned to look back and all 8 had reformed and were still giving chase with wings flared and beaks hanging wide open. Took another two corners of max HR before they eventually gave up.

Came around a corner at pace and noticed one Ostrich in the road, who started to run away from me on the road. You know, like a Guinea Fowl, not veering off into the bush. Saw something move in the corner of my eye. It was another 7 ostrich emerging from the bush at same pace as me, who for some reason thought I was chasing their mate. They didn't like that idea. I was sandwiched between dumbass in front and the rest of the crew behind me. Family of four humans were on the road ahead watching this go down. As we approached the family (who did not move from their spots in the road) the ostrich veered around them - I went through middle saying f*&%!!!!!!!. Turned to look back and all 8 had reformed and were still giving chase with wings flared and beaks hanging wide open. Took another two corners of max HR before they eventually gave up.

hahaa - i'll look out for Ostriches - and maybe the best bet is to stand still?

but what is it with guinea fowl that run away from you down the trail for meters and meters before they realise oh wait - I can fly and off they go. Always cracks me up. 

hahaa - i'll look out for Ostriches - and maybe the best bet is to stand still?

but what is it with guinea fowl that run away from you down the trail for meters and meters before they realise oh wait - I can fly and off they go. Always cracks me up. 

Used to work on a game farm and my accommodation was about 300m from the lodge, it was always a mad race from my room up to the kitchen (or back down again!) because of bloody ostriches that the stupid owner felt compelled to feed, every time they saw someone going to the kitchen area they would give chase....! And if I wasn't thinking I would put food out on the work surfaces to cool or for prep and Mr Ostrich would stick his head through the window and sample what we were cooking!

Used to work on a game farm and my accommodation was about 300m from the lodge, it was always a mad race from my room up to the kitchen (or back down again!) because of bloody ostriches that the stupid owner felt compelled to feed, every time they saw someone going to the kitchen area they would give chase....! And if I wasn't thinking I would put food out on the work surfaces to cool or for prep and Mr Ostrich would stick his head through the window and sample what we were cooking!

Touch wood I've never had any encounters with ostriches  - I did make the mistake of getting a bit close to a mommy warthog and her baby at Marloth once, I ended up doing some interesting parkour moves to get out the way and I dropped by 2 day old phone that I was trying to take a pic of cute little pumba  :eek:

Scarier than riding on the Woes Rand?

Won't know, to scared to go and find out.

Interesting that one of the lion attacks in Marloth was on a ranger who was cycling.

In Marloth it's usually easiest to go anti-clockwise along the fence in the mornings -- that way the sun isn't in your eyes.  It's not going to be the longest or most technical ride of your life, but it could end up being one of the most scenic.

Like others said: there are plenty of hazards that require eyes open.  It could be best to leave Strava at home.

There's other rides too, from just a little out (eg. Hectorspruit)  You can definitely find a place to ride the bike.

It could be best to leave Strava at home.

the only reason I'd have strava on would be to find my way home :D 

i'm convinced, my steed is coming with. I see there's bike rentals as well so if any of my mates decide to do a pedal that's an option too. 

We do the Big 5 MTB every year, stay in Marloth. We always go for ride on Fri afternoon and again Sunday morning. Last year we saw 5 lions on other side of river...

Marloth is a great place to ride. Was there a couple of weeks back to round off my training for 36one. But look, you're in a game reserve (that's actually classified as town, but anyway) so there are risks. Snakes, Ostrich (I had a close encounter with a galloping herd), Spiders, Cars, Humans. There are however a lot of people who ride their bikes there. 

There was talk of some lion's having crossed over the river from Kruger and the community patrollers were asking people not to walk alone between 6am and 6pm. We didn't hear them or see them, and in fact, the entire park was behaving as if there weren't lions in the park. People walking alone unfazed during the day. Personally, I started to think it was a useful narrative for security and control by the patrollers. I mean, telling my kids to shut up else the lions would know where we were living worked a charm. Why not work the same charm with adults in keeping them indoors at dark?

There are a good few Strava segments around the park and the singletrack next to the fence along the River is a nice scenic ride with a few challenges. 

Take your bike!

I know of a family who had a home there and often had to stay indoors because of the lions that were around. These big hungry pussy cats do exist so riding there cou;ld be a gamble for youngsters. Ride in the midday to be safe.

Brilliant place to ride overall...ridden there tons and it's always an adventure!!

Do Marloth loops, then to Komatipoort and back along the Crocodile River to Croc Bridge. Through some farms and back to Marloth. You can easy do 100km plus with plenty game viewing on route.

Can ask Lexx about my Lion encounter in the Citrus farms along the Croc River!!