Riding in Eastern Cape

Warthog

So, me and the missus are taking an extra week to get to PE for a special bday. We're driving through Southern Free State down to PE, sleeping near Harrismith 28 Apr and need to be in PE 4 May.

We're (obviously) taking the bikes with. Neither likes technical, neither have ever been in that corner of the country ever before, so suggestions and advice would be sincerely appreciated.

(Oh, Hogsback is somewhere on itinerary...)

So, me and the missus are taking an extra week to get to PE for a special bday. We're driving through Southern Free State down to PE, sleeping near Harrismith 28 Apr and need to be in PE 4 May.

We're (obviously) taking the bikes with. Neither likes technical, neither have ever been in that corner of the country ever before, so suggestions and advice would be sincerely appreciated.

(Oh, Hogsback is somewhere on itinerary...)

We've had an extraordinarily wet Autumn, so I don't think the Hogs trails will be up for riding

30 April is the Farmers Ride

https://greatkeitrek.myactive.co.za/capturedetails/registration.aspx

(Shameless plug[emoji6])

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tks Dean. Looked at GreatKei, but logistics not on. We can only leave here morning of 28 April - my better half on call until 07h00

Baviaanskloof from the Patensie side:From grootrivier poort to berplaas & back = +-80km dirt road ride. Dont have to do the last 6km climb to make it a worthwhile ride. 125km from PE.

Jbay to padlangs restaurant also fairly popular. 50km dirt rd one way.

Never ridden at hoggsback, but the hiking trails around town is a must do.

There are options in PE as well. Contact the bike shops. My knowledge is outdated - moved away 14 yrs ago.

Hogsback has some nice dirt road riding....

Carry on up the hill on the R345 out of town. You will come to a T-Junction.. The left turn will take you towards Seymore, the signs will probably say road only open to 4x4 traffic. It is a breeze heading down this hill, a bit *** coming back up it.. Going right you will head towards Cathcart. This is also a really nice pedal.

There are also some trails that start near the Hogsback Inn - they should be able to help with route maps and info.

Tom

Planning to be more on eastern side of PE. We've been on the Patensie & JB side, but that part south of Lesotho...

Baakens Valley in PE is always good fun (don't ride alone). Start at the fat tracks in Walmer. If you do go further east, crossroads (halfway to Jbay) is also great.

understatement of the century 

Ha Ha!! I believe it might be in better shape now... 

post-44068-0-33861700-1523863233_thumb.jpg

Ha Ha!! I believe it might be in better shape now... 

Lord of the Chainrings 2014 Stage 2 

i died four times trying to go up this thing and almost threw my brand new bike off the mountain 

it took me just over 2 hours to ride the 11km in the 38deg heat.