Harkerville

RDL101

Hi guys. I have been wanting to go and ride the Harkerville trails again(having done so many years ago) and a possible Garden Route break a way is likely later on in the year.

My question is, were the area affected by the terrible fires and if it is worth the effort of getting the bikes down there from GP. I remember lusch green forests etc.

A lot of the Harkeville / Kranshoek pine forests were burnt, almost all the pine trees and vegetation between Plett and Harkeville on the Coastal side was burnt. It is much greener now with new vegetation growing. The other side of the N2, into the Garden of Eden forests is still very dense and lush. That side was not affected by the fires between Plett and Harkeville. Defintly worth brining your bikes down, one of the best places to ride. There are awsome views along the coastal corridor and the forests have some very nice single track.

I rode Harkerville last week. Its not as badly affected by the fires as I feared. The GRTP has become a firm favorite for me, so be sure to put a day aside for this as well.

a4122b5a14de39b4eec1f31501921a63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A lot of the Harkeville / Kranshoek pine forests were burnt, almost all the pine trees and vegetation between Plett and Harkeville on the Coastal side was burnt. It is much greener now with new vegetation growing. The other side of the N2, into the Garden of Eden forests is still very dense and lush. That side was not affected by the fires between Plett and Harkeville. Defintly worth brining your bikes down, one of the best places to ride. There are awsome views along the coastal corridor and the forests have some very nice single track.

Did the natural forests at Harkerville burn - I was under the impression that they survived?

I rode Harkerville last week. Its not as badly affected by the fires as I feared. The GRTP has become a firm favorite for me, so be sure to put a day aside for this as well.

a4122b5a14de39b4eec1f31501921a63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for the pic, exactly what I wanted to see.

Nice change from the dry highveld scenery.

Did the natural forests at Harkerville burn - I was under the impression that they survived?

There were very large areas, especially the forests that burnt. This area is so big though that there was a lot that was not burnt. Cairnbrogie Farm was badly burnt especially along the coastal corridor and most of the pine trees on the farm were destroyed. The neighboring farm going towards Kranshoek reserve was also badly damaged, almost all that area has been cleared now.

The forests on the otherside of the N2 highway between Plett and Harkeville were mostly untouched, but the area going towards Knysna was burnt.

Archived