Sani2C Commuting Challenge 2018

cat-i

Sorry for only responding now cat-i.  I still wanted to add wrt the eating.  Cook your evening meals in such a way that you can take extra to work.  THen it won't be double work.  This was the first in three years where I started commuting after winter that I did not feel buggered after the first couple of days like in previous years. This was mainly because I ate more.  Sure I have 6 unwanted kilos that accumulated over the winter that I dearly wanted to get rid of, but this year I wanted to avoid the dead feeling.  So I made sure I ate enough and on one or two occasions I forced myself slightly to eat where I did not quite have the appetite.  The end result was that I went from no commutes per week to 4-5 commutes per week without regretting it. 

I also paid attention to eating more proteins in whatever form I could find.  So normally my after morning commute ride was the time I ate two sandwiches/rolls of rye bread or something with lots of cheese and some or other meat on it or I would replace one of the sandwiches with a boiled egg.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone one on track?

Upped my morning commute by 6km and added about 100m extra climbing.

This is not going to be easy.....   :wacko:

EDIT: Just peeked at the leaderboard - Well Done Cat, you crushed it this morning! Clearly that bottle of wine, had some Gummy Berry juice in it  :D

Nope not quite.  Had a nice route worked out with over 300 meters of climbing but as I started my commute and activated my Garmin I realised I buggered up and loaded the wrong route.  Was already late for work so did not want to scout out new routes while being late.  Will try and get back on track this afternoon.  It makes it now even more unlikely that I would be able to achieve the required ascent for the week.

Sorry for only responding now cat-i.  I still wanted to add wrt the eating.  Cook your evening meals in such a way that you can take extra to work.  THen it won't be double work.  This was the first in three years where I started commuting after winter that I did not feel buggered after the first couple of days like in previous years. This was mainly because I ate more.  Sure I have 6 unwanted kilos that accumulated over the winter that I dearly wanted to get rid of, but this year I wanted to avoid the dead feeling.  So I made sure I ate enough and on one or two occasions I forced myself slightly to eat where I did not quite have the appetite.  The end result was that I went from no commutes per week to 4-5 commutes per week without regretting it. 

I also paid attention to eating more proteins in whatever form I could find.  So normally my after morning commute ride was the time I ate two sandwiches/rolls of rye bread or something with lots of cheese and some or other meat on it or I would replace one of the sandwiches with a boiled egg.

Thx Bateleur.

This morning on the way out on the spur of the moment grabbed some left-over braai tjoppies. Sure that will come in handy by lunchtime! Will boil some eggs this evening - easy to carry and easy to eat.

I'm experiencing a bit of FOMO, so I thought I'd just wish the rest of you well. This challenge was tough last year. I packed in as much as I could earlier in the week, so that by my Friday commute home I just needed to do the minimum to complete it. I remember riding with Cat-i and it started raining on the way home. I got home cold and wet and happy to be finished!

Everyone one on track?

Upped my morning commute by 6km and added about 100m extra climbing.

This is not going to be easy.....   :wacko:

EDIT: Just peeked at the leaderboard - Well Done Cat, you crushed it this morning! Clearly that bottle of wine, had some Gummy Berry juice in it  :D

Thx Imploder.

Last year Nancy commuted with me - it is much easier to gt up if you know someone is waiting for you.

Seems like I'm over the chest infection, but my legs felt the 441 ascent this morning. Will  see if I can find something slightly flatter tomorrow morning.

I'm experiencing a bit of FOMO, so I thought I'd just wish the rest of you well. This challenge was tough last year. I packed in as much as I could earlier in the week, so that by my Friday commute home I just needed to do the minimum to complete it. I remember riding with Cat-i and it started raining on the way home. I got home cold and wet and happy to be finished!

I forgot about the rain! Checked the weather forecast last night and it looks sunny the whole week here in Gauteng; only a bit of clouds on Friday.

Missed you a lot this morning!

Not looking too bad here as well.  Only Thursday might be a tad wet but then again it is a public holiday on Thursday so no commuting in any way.

post-71-0-60237200-1525688860_thumb.jpg

If each waterpoint and each overnight stop is a milestone, then there are 10 - matching the possible number of commutes/stages in the week.

I'm trying to reach a milestone per commute. That gives 3 commutes for day 1, 4 commutes for day 2 and 3 commutes for day 3.

I'm quite a bit short of day 1 waterpoint 1, which, at 42km, was the longest milestone. If all goes well I should cross the virtual floating bridge on my way home today and finish a bit short of waterpoint 2 tonight.

route-day-1.jpg

Is there a way to see how much climbing everyone has done?

I only commute 8 times a week so need an average of 32.5km and 425m elevation per commute.

Got the climbing so far in the 2 commutes to date but short on the distance. Opps. 

I only commute 8 times a week so need an average of 32.5km and 425m elevation per commute.

Got the climbing so far in the 2 commutes to date but short on the distance. Opps. 

Can we swop out?  I get the distance and you the climbing ;)

Love this challange Cat-i.  It forced me to think of alternative routes.  Went on commute this morning that was in the end only about 6 km longer but took me through awesome little Bavarian towns end scenes.  :thumbup:

I tried to set up a separate challenge for the ascent, but couldn't find anywhere on Endomondo or Strava to do that. Not even Garmin allow me to set a goal with ascent. If you can find somewhere to set it up, please do that and send a link.

I've just arrived in the virtual Mackenzie. Total ascent so far is 1263 - about 80 more than the S2C trail riders are doing today.

I tried to set up a separate challenge for the ascent, but couldn't find anywhere on Endomondo or Strava to do that. Not even Garmin allow me to set a goal with ascent. If you can find somewhere to set it up, please do that and send a link.

I've just arrived in the virtual Mackenzie. Total ascent so far is 1263 - about 80 more than the S2C trail riders are doing today.

Well done!  I am at the moment at 827 meters of climbing.

Archived