Availability of Test bikes

SwissVan

Agreed, however demos (be it cars or bikes) whilst essential still cost a packet to implement and have available again be it through the LBS or Distributor...

I know that to have a demo fleet - a distributor would need a van as well as a trailer to carry all the bikes - R500k for those two (more or less) then a reasonable spread of bikes to test - R500k (again roughly) and then branding - gazebos, flags etc, not to mention staff to run the demo days and maintenance on the fleet over the 8-12 months of the year that the fleet is valid for...

Not a cheap exercise by any standard... 

I think you need to re-look at what vans cost. you'll need to double your budget for van and trailer.

There seems to be a catch 22 here. Customers want demos to be available (and to an extent I dont blame them), but they still want rock bottom prices, some free stuff chucked in etc.

I'm sure most (if not all) bike shops would love to offer this, but its simply not possible. All these nice to haves cost money, the shop needs to get that money from somewhere, so they need to charge the customer more. Customer feels ripped off and after demoing the bike at your shop they buy from the cheapest shop.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be a catch 22 here. Customers want demos to be available (and to an extent I dont blame them), but they still want rock bottom prices, some free stuff chucked in etc.

I'm sure most (if not all) bike shops would love to offer this, but its simply not possible. All these nice to haves cost money, the shop needs to get that money from somewhere, so they need to charge the customer more. Customer feels ripped off and after demoing the bike at your shop they buy from the cheapest shop.

Exactly and it comes back to - if you can demo a bike/car or whatever you are not going to say no...so you test ride a bike - can't get the deal you want from the store and you go and buy something else down the road ...

The one thing as well is that a store want a demo bike cuz they have a client "very keen" on that model...they ship the bike to the store (incurring freight charges) the store spends time building the bike out the box, (workshop time and costs) you go and thrash the bike over the weekend - take it back to the store dirty and possibly broken, and say thanks very much.

Next weekend you're seen by the store owner on another bike that you bought from another store....

Its not easy. And you are right Skinnyone, the number of times my demo bikes went out and exactly that...the guy wanders in a week later for you to do the fitment you had included at no charge for him, on a bike he bought from another shop...and then he is shocked when you charge them for the fitting!!

Its not easy. And you are right Skinnyone, the number of times my demo bikes went out and exactly that...the guy wanders in a week later for you to do the fitment you had included at no charge for him, on a bike he bought from another shop...and then he is shocked when you charge them for the fitting!!

The question is, why is the deal better from another store?

Comparing prices of new bikes here in Switz, they are all the same price no matter which LBS you go to (comparing like models etc....)

Comparing prices of new bikes here in Switz, they are all the same price no matter which LBS you go to (comparing like models etc....)

Perhaps one store will throw in add-ons like a free bike setup or some small accessories.

because the other store does not have to carry the cost of the demo and or backup service

Demo day in Pretoria held by CYCLE at LYNNWOOD at Rosemary Hill

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

a1071cea06073c86b8e23585f57b4908.jpg

Edited by CogitoErgoSum

Exactly and it comes back to - if you can demo a bike/car or whatever you are not going to say no...so you test ride a bike - can't get the deal you want from the store and you go and buy something else down the road ...

The one thing as well is that a store want a demo bike cuz they have a client "very keen" on that model...they ship the bike to the store (incurring freight charges) the store spends time building the bike out the box, (workshop time and costs) you go and thrash the bike over the weekend - take it back to the store dirty and possibly broken, and say thanks very much.

Next weekend you're seen by the store owner on another bike that you bought from another store....

That's just wrong. I've always made sure the demo bike comes back clean and lubed, just the way I got it

Exactly

Waiting for my Blur test bike next weekend

Maybe I will go and check the BMC LBS this weekend....

Sorry Specz are making me widen my search (open my eyes....?)

Mind you i do own a Epic Comp, but only because i cant afford a santa cruz ottherwise i would've bought one.

• 2 weeks later...

So.... 

2 Weeks later

Test Bike obtained and ridden for 2 days over the weekend

Spot the mistake...

post-182-0-64247600-1528876590_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-06986400-1528876623_thumb.jpg

Well at least the shoes say Specialized