International bike courier

Waleki

Hi. Anyone have their bike sent overseas (EU). I'm already in EU so adding sports equipment to my luggage is not an option.

Thanks

I've used Glodeflight to send smaller parcels but never a bike. Also check with DHL, I'm however not sure whether they deal with once off customers.

You can send it via cargo on the same flight

Thank you, I am already in EU and my bike is in Cape Town. I am only returning next year some time. So I would need to look at a Courier service.

I've used Glodeflight to send smaller parcels but never a bike. Also check with DHL, I'm however not sure whether they deal with once off customers.

Thanks. Yeah I've also found it easy to send small parcels. I'm just struggling to find a company that does bikes... DHL quoted an astronomical price for my bike case dimensions.

I think it is going to cost you a fair bit no matter what. Bike cases & boxes take up a lot of volume space & couriers will charge you a volume price rather than a weight price. It will cost a lot comparatively because there is a lot of dead space in a bike box and you'll pay for all of it. 

I'd guess the options are: 

1) Get other quotes. I know people have used Aramex Global Shopper and a frame costs about R1500 from UK / US to here. Not sure if they do the other way.

2) Sea freight it. Will take about 3 months +

3) Try to see on forums, people leaving FB pages or here of people leaving the country and see if you can piggy back into one of their container loads if they are moving house with them but you'll need some one going to your country or try to work out shipping from where they are to you.
4) Invite some friends to come over and throw in free accommodation / vodka for the one that comes on holiday and brings your bike. 

5) Sell bike here. Buy bike there. EU has loads of bike shops, deals, second hand bargains, PinkBike, Ebay and more. You'll get a good bike at a way better price than here. When you leave sell it or bring it here and sell it or keep it here. #NewBikeDay is always fun. 

I think it is going to cost you a fair bit no matter what. Bike cases & boxes take up a lot of volume space & couriers will charge you a volume price rather than a weight price. It will cost a lot comparatively because there is a lot of dead space in a bike box and you'll pay for all of it.

I'd guess the options are:

1) Get other quotes. I know people have used Aramex Global Shopper and a frame costs about R1500 from UK / US to here. Not sure if they do the other way.

2) Sea freight it. Will take about 3 months +

3) Try to see on forums, people leaving FB pages or here of people leaving the country and see if you can piggy back into one of their container loads if they are moving house with them but you'll need some one going to your country or try to work out shipping from where they are to you.

4) Invite some friends to come over and throw in free accommodation / vodka for the one that comes on holiday and brings your bike.

5) Sell bike here. Buy bike there. EU has loads of bike shops, deals, second hand bargains, PinkBike, Ebay and more. You'll get a good bike at a way better price than here. When you leave sell it or bring it here and sell it or keep it here. #NewBikeDay is always fun.

Thanks for all the Info. Yeah I'm starting to think the sell/buy option is a my best one...

I'm flying to Germany via the UK on Monday without much luggage. If you can get it to me before then, I can take it for you.

Ps. I will carry it but you must make a plan to get it to me in Jhb and from me in Frankfurt.

I'm flying to Germany via the UK on Monday without much luggage. If you can get it to me before then, I can take it for you.

Ps. I will carry it but you must make a plan to get it to me in Jhb and from me in Frankfurt.

Thanks Eddy. That would be a great option, however the timing is a bit tight. I need to arrange a few things first. You have given me an idea though, because I am meeting a friend in Belgium at the end of the month. I'm not sure what the Customs requirements are because I havever spoken to customs in Finland and can get the clearance certificate on this side, but the Belgian side may be a different story.