Which action camera ?

ChrisF

I bought a GoPro Hero Session camera a while back.

Happy with the footage and operation.

ONLY issue - built in battery and a super slow recharge time. By the time the laatie is finished with his practice rides the battery is done for the day .... (most of the footage gets deleted, but I want the camera to be running for that one or two special clips of the day)

I am now looking for a second camera - partly so we can both have cameras, and also for the extra battery power (this one will have a replaceble battery)

WHAT TO BUY ?

The new GoPro Hero (201 is on special for R3k, less than half the price of the Hero 5 ....

The only real difference I can see on the spec sheets - at the higher resolutions the Hero(201 has a lower frame rate (though still in excess of the standard viewing rate) .... I am assuming this limits my options for low speed play-back ....

PS - YES, there are various other differences, but none that I THINK will be an issue .... would love to hear which of these extra functions you USE ....

Or should I be looking at something completely different  What

primary use is for MTB footage

ChrisF, if its just the basics you after with no fancy high FPS and res, get your hands on the older GoPro 4 Black, perfectly fine resolution and FPS for most purposes and more importantly the audio is good. OK, you need a housing which will muffle audio obviously but its not often you ride in weather thats so bad you will need it (most of the time the lens will be splattered with mud/rain so there's that!)

The 5 has major audio issues and hunts signal all over the place and sounds bad under most MTB conditions. Haven't tried the 6 but heard the same audio problems exist. Especially if you going to use a gimbal. I use the 5 as a backup but mostly add music over the top.

Another option is the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30, basically the same specs as the GoPro 5 but needs housing in wet weather...however, audio is GREAT even in the housing (two types of housings, the topside wet one has an audio "valve " in the back door and the underwater one is solid making it waterproof). Nice interface and easy to use and you can buy a protective dome for the front lens. (The GoPro has replacement lenses that are fairly easy to install). The "cage" for bare mounting is extra though and comes with the lens protector. Being a Garmin, its packed with sensors and talks to all other Garmin units so you can control it remotely. Spare batteries are available like the GoPro and I've found that 3 will do the trick for a full day riding. You can overlay data on the video as well...GoPro also records some GPS data but their overlay software is real clunky (they acquired Dashware for this). The Garmin VIRB program has all this built in and although its not as fancy as something like Adobe Premier Pro or Final Cut Pro, it does a fair job of cranking out basic edits.

Built-in Stabilisation on both GoPro and Garmin are pretty good.

There are cheaper action cams out there of course but you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

You might want to look into a camera that has a GPS, it allows for data overlays that adds so much more to your video footage. See pic.

My previous camera was a Garmin Virb Elite, paid R1700 years back that had amazing data capability. Added a cadence sensor, heart rate monitor.. it was really awesome to track your h/r while watching the vid.

post-2143-0-01035400-1529518782_thumb.png

You might want to look into a camera that has a GPS, it allows for data overlays that adds so much more to your video footage. See pic.

My previous camera was a Garmin Virb Elite, paid R1700 years back that had amazing data capability. Added a cadence sensor, heart rate monitor.. it was really awesome to track your h/r while watching the vid.

question - can I use the data from my Garmin 520 when making a video ?  Or is THIS where the money goes when paying for the Hero 5/6 Black ?

I am reading up more and more on video editing, and playing with more function on Pinnacle .... trust my next video will be a LOT better.

But this also means that stuff such as GPS overlays may/will be the next step .....

PS - Maritz is taking part in the SPUR schools league.  So the idea it to make videos of the events, both short promo videos for the school, but also longer videos for the family ....

@Capediver - the windnoise on the Session is as bad as you are describing on the Hero5/6 .... clearly the new technology at work ....

Audio will be the next evolution in my video journey .... looking into sites where I can download backtracks.  May try a few videos with mostly backtrack music, just the odd video sound that may add to the project.  For the rest I am considering using text for the plot .... (my Malmesburrrry accent may not be ideal for a voice over)

my budget shouts for the entry level Hero(2018) ... somehow my good sense is warning me not to save money by buying wrong now .... just dont have the experience nor video know-how to make an informed decision ....

THANKS for the input !!

question - can I use the data from my Garmin 520 when making a video ?  Or is THIS where the money goes when paying for the Hero 5/6 Black ?

I am reading up more and more on video editing, and playing with more function on Pinnacle .... trust my next video will be a LOT better.

But this also means that stuff such as GPS overlays may/will be the next step .....

PS - Maritz is taking part in the SPUR schools league.  So the idea it to make videos of the events, both short promo videos for the school, but also longer videos for the family ....

@Capediver - the windnoise on the Session is as bad as you are describing on the Hero5/6 .... clearly the new technology at work ....

Audio will be the next evolution in my video journey .... looking into sites where I can download backtracks.  May try a few videos with mostly backtrack music, just the odd video sound that may add to the project.  For the rest I am considering using text for the plot .... (my Malmesburrrry accent may not be ideal for a voice over)

my budget shouts for the entry level Hero(2018) ... somehow my good sense is warning me not to save money by buying wrong now .... just dont have the experience nor video know-how to make an informed decision ....

THANKS for the input !!

RE data overlay...the free Garmin VIRB program can do this...it's obviously easier to use with Garmin products as it synchronises everything automatically but you can import any video footage from any device and then add the GPS data separately. Its just done manually and takes a bit of practise to sync the data read out with the video footage ..

So record with the camera and your 520, upload the video file and the 520 gpx file to your computer and import them in Garmin VIRB...trim either the video or the gpx files to sync them together and render with your music overlay...

WHAT TO BUY ?

The new GoPro Hero (201 is on special for R3k, less than half the price of the Hero 5 ....

The only real difference I can see on the spec sheets - at the higher resolutions the Hero(201 has a lower frame rate (though still in excess of the standard viewing rate) .... I am assuming this limits my options for low speed play-back ....

PS - YES, there are various other differences, but none that I THINK will be an issue .... would love to hear which of these extra functions you USE ....

If you feel adventurous, buy the GoPro Hero and "tweak" it a bit to convert it to a GoPro Hero 5, as per this article. https://gethypoxic.com/blogs/technical/latest-gopro-hero-is-actually-a-gopro-hero5

Not answering any of the above but something i noticed as a new gopro user is that a gopro battery is not that expensive. r339 on Takelot atm.

Generally a battery lasts about 2.5hrs so ill def be looking at getting another for longer outings.

Not answering any of the above but something i noticed as a new gopro user is that a gopro battery is not that expensive. r339 on Takelot atm.

Generally a battery lasts about 2.5hrs so ill def be looking at getting another for longer outings.

You can also pay R750 at ORMS for a battery and dual charger unit ..... I may go this route, for the dual charger, and possibly get another battery at a later stage .....

Charging batteries one-at-a-time is not fun when you are traveling ....

The sound issue with the new GoPros 5, 6 and session is due to the waterproofing...

I'm actually busy looking into alternative brands like Yi that have highly rated products

See https://actioncamguides.com

do these have local support/sales ? or would you import ?

WHAT TO BUY ?

If you feel adventurous, buy the GoPro Hero and "tweak" it a bit to convert it to a GoPro Hero 5, as per this article. https://gethypoxic.com/blogs/technical/latest-gopro-hero-is-actually-a-gopro-hero5

VERY COOL!

Here is a sample of the footage

And here is the same footage that has been put through a stabilization algorithm

do these have local support/sales ? or would you import ?

I would probably bet it overseas on one of my next trip or import. Takealot as the Yi dashcam but not the action cam unfortunately.

Archived