drive train advice needed

seanrcb

I'm currently running a 2 x 10 system which is almost toast on it's last legs. I'm trying to decide whether to stay 2x10 or go 1 x 10. below are a few of my options:

Option 1. narrow wide chain ring, chain and sunrace 11-46 cassette (1550 Rondelas) plus will probably need new rear derailleur .

Option 2. Sram X7 crankset, hg50 11-36 cassette, chain (1650 rondelas)

Option 3. buy chainrings to fit my current slx fc m660 (originally 3x9 crankarm) cassette and chain ( CWC has FSA for R50 not sure if it will fit profile of crankarm, BCD is correct.

any advice or suggestions will be appreciated would like to keep cost low but also future maintenance and replacement cost

Try get hold of a second hand nw chainring and see how you like the 1x10 setup or alternatively just stay in one of the 2 front rings for a ride or two and see how you get on. This may be tough depending on what size they chainring are.

When i was on a 3x9 setup, I just stayed in the middle chainring for a couple rides and really enjoyed the simplicity of it.

Kind of in the same boat on my one bike which is also running 2x10 (mostly Shimano SLX parts). Guess I have another 500km to get out of it and then it up for replacing the Chain, Chain rings and Cassette.

The Current SLX cassette is already expensive enough (R800-R900 depending on specials), the Deore Cassette will probably work as well for R500-R600. I see that the Deore 10 speed wide range cassette (11-42) is well priced (around R600 when you find one). Some single chain rings are cheaper than replacing the doubles (Rapide's are less than R400 at the moment). Only thing that I do not like too much about the idea of switching to 1x10 is the possibility of struggling with the shifting to the largest gear at the back (the b-screw fun), but there are options to resolve this and get very good shifting again (look at 10 speed goat link or the Deore M6000 RD made tow work with the wide range 10 speed cassette).

I do love the simplicity of the 1x drivetrain (other bike is running 11 speed GX which is great!).

I would just keep the SLX Crankset, nothing wrong with it and it will work great with either single or double chain rings. What's the price for replacing triple chain rings? Probably more than a single? Do you ride a lot in the 32t or shift to the larger ring a lot?

Edited by johanpre44

Rapide has a 104BCD 30 Tooth Chaining for R449.

With this Chainring you can stay on 11-36 @ the back if you are reasonably  fit.

Ratios

0,833333      36       

0,9375          32

1,071429      28      

1,25              24

1,428571       21     

1,578947       19      

1,764706       17     

2                    15

2,307692       13

2,727273       11

Top Speed is about 30-34 Km Hr and Bottom Speed 7-9 Km Hr on a 29er Wheel

Edited by dasilvarsa

At present in the area where I ride most of it is done on the big ring 38t the terrain has no seriously long climbs (at least I haven't found them yet) I'm no racing snake 100kg on a 26er

At present in the area where I ride most of it is done on the big ring 38t the terrain has no seriously long climbs (at least I haven't found them yet) I'm no racing snake 100kg on a 26er

With a 30t chainring and 11t cog at the rear you run out of gears fast, on a 29er, with a 650b even faster, and a 26er you will be spinning out at 25km/hr.

To get effectively the same speeds as mentioned by daSilva, you will have to go 32t on a 650b, and 34t on a 26er to compensate for wheel size - the ratios will change, but effort will remain the same because of the smaller wheel size. I'd even go as far as to say a 36t chainring (if you can handle the heavier gear on the climbs).

I'm currently running a 2 x 10 system which is almost toast on it's last legs. I'm trying to decide whether to stay 2x10 or go 1 x 10. below are a few of my options:

Option 1. narrow wide chain ring, chain and sunrace 11-46 cassette (1550 Rondelas) plus will probably need new rear derailleur .

Option 3. buy chainrings to fit my current slx fc m660 (originally 3x9 crankarm) cassette and chain ( CWC has FSA for R50 not sure if it will fit profile of crankarm, BCD is correct.

any advice or suggestions will be appreciated would like to keep cost low but also future maintenance and replacement cost

I ran 1x10 for a while a few years ago, and you do run out of gears both up and down hill - I had a 32t chainring with an 11-36 cassette. 

Currently the 11 speed stuff is really cheap second hand. You would be able to get a RD, shifter, cassette and chain for around R2500. People swap cassettes way too quickly anyways.

With regards to the crank, it seems there is still a demand for selling 2x or 3x cranks. Try selling yours for R1000 and then buy a 1x crank on the classifieds for around R1500. Otherwise, buying chainring bolts and a chainring for your current crank will be around R600 if you are lucky.

Also, look on CWC and Evobike's websites.

Going 1x will definitely be a nice weight saving - get rid of shifter, cable, derailleur and 2 chainrings.

Change to a wider range cassette (11-46 or similar) and install a narrow wide chainring (take the opportunity to go oval as well, trust me).

Adjust the derailleur a bit and voila.

If i go 1x do i have to have a derailleur with a clutch i currently have XT 781shadow non clutch and can this handle the extended cassette

Rode my 3x10 XT groupset on a 40km event over the weekend. 572% gearing.

I was very thankful for the lowest gearing, 36 rear x 24 front, during the last steep climb of the day, didn't have to get off and push, I could spin to the top at comfortably high cadence.

I utilised the top gearing, 11 x 42, during the fun sprint for the line with a fellow competitor. Also used the big blade allot on the straight district roads.

I'm sure 1x drivetrains work for some, but for me I still need to do allot of work to be able to ride up the steep stuff and still go full speed on the flats/downhills.

I might go 2x when things wear out, but before then I would have to complete a whole bunch of rides where I don't drop down to the granny.

Why are you not considering SRAM GX? it's the same technology as Eagle just heavier.

Probably because of the XD freebody?

Consider changing the freebody and go SRAM GX

Edited by DC Carbon