How To Get Involved In The Cycling Industry As A Career?

Andrew_Smith

Hi BikeHubbers,

I need some input, especially from the individuals that work in the cycling industry.

So, I am matriculated last year and currently on a gap year, but I am working full-time as a personal assistant. My dream is to work in the cycling industry one day, in the lines of Aaron Borrill/Oliver Munnik/Johan Badenhorst. I am a passionate cyclist and photographer, love the sport and take pride in my photos.

My initial plan was to study for a degree in only photography, but in reality, I think it won't be the best idea to do. At least here in South Africa.

Then I thought about photojournalism, as I really enjoyed creative writing in school. Went to Prestige Academy Winter School for the Viscom Photography degree and the lector said the money lies in commercial photography, which I personally don't want to do.

Now I am a bit confused about what to study and my time is also running out.

At my current job, I got introduced to WordPress which intrigued me to learn more about it. I even purchased an online course at Udemy. My general knowledge about computers is very good, as I had IT as a subject in school and build computers in my youth days. I, however, did not succeed so well in the practical part (programming). 

Social media is also interesting for me, the analytics and algorithm side of things. I played around with it myself, to see when it is the best time to post a photo/video and get the most interaction with your followers and what time your followers are most active.

Now I am contemplating if I should study web development and combine it with my photography? 

If I can be a photographer for a bicycle magazine/forum and write a bit too, that would be epic! Even a social media manager for a cycling shop/company, to produce content and keep the page live and reply to comments and such.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, André.

wordpress is not web development, it is a way to enable artists with little no experience to build pretty websites and rip people off left right and center by charging huge amounts to 'adjust text'

If you are dead set on it, I suggest approaching race organizers but be aware the pay is min and you will no longer have weekends.

Spot on Dave, WordPress is more drop and drag with a bit of coding. But I would not mind learning more about HTML, Joomla and JavaScript. Alas, there is still features I need to learn. For example, I am not 100% sure how the e-commerce work in the website (still need to cover that module in my course). WordPress is also very popular and powerful! There are nice plugins which you can use on your website.

I considered it but like you stated the pay is min and I would like to have one day open on my weekend to go for a group ride.

check out Silverback's website. They have plenty positions open here in SA. They even have a position as an ambassador where you get to test / showcase the latest Silverback stuff. I'm actually contemplating doing it as a second job. Good luck  

Put up some of your photos :thumbup:

Facebook Albums

Instagram

check out Silverback's website. They have plenty positions open here in SA. They even have a position as an ambassador where you get to test / showcase the latest Silverback stuff. I'm actually contemplating doing it as a second job. Good luck  

Awesome, I will definitely check it out.  :thumbup:

Facebook Albums

Instagram

Awesome, I will definitely check it out.  :thumbup:

Cool.

From what I've seen it's luck and who you know when trying to get into the cycling business.Cycling is a relatively small industry.

Get hold of Xylon van Eyck in PE and ask him for a few pointers about the industry.He knows it quite well :thumbup:

+27 41 379 1305

Archived