Newbie: Replacing MTB tyres with slicks

I'm brand new to cycling.

I just bought a Silverback SpectaComp 2 weeks ago.  It has these things:

Shimano CS-HG50, 10 speed, 11-36T, Silver

Shimano XT Shadow Tech Plus RD-M786, Long Cage, 10 Speed, Black

I want to use slicks as I seem to be on the road more than the mountain for now.  I found a second hand set of tyres and rims for sale but there are 8 cogs.  Will this work with the above specs?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Ishmael

It makes no sense what you are saying. 

Are you refering to smooth tyres? If yes, tyres do not have cogs. 

If you are refering to wheels, why would you replace it if you can just pull the other set of rubber onto the ones that you have?

8 9 and 10spd use the same freehub so they will work. You will need to buy a 10spd cassette for the new wheels.

Check that the rotors are the same size or you'll need to buy new rotors.

Also check the axles. There are a lot of "standards" at the moment. Check they're the same.

Hi Ishmael, welcome.

I feel you might have wasted a bit of money on something you didn't need, especially given the fact that it is old enough to have 8 speed, there could even be a difference in width of the hub, but thats just getting a little more complicated. If I was you, I would take the slicks and put them on the wheels that came with the bike, a plain and simple straight swop. The 8 speed will not work with above mentioned components on the bike. Good luck  :thumbup:

I want to use slicks as I seem to be on the road more than the mountain for now.  

If you don't have a compelling reason to change to slicks,stick to what is fitted, even for tar.  

Thank you.  I will follow this advice as it seems the most logical.

Hi Ishmael, welcome.

I feel you might have wasted a bit of money on something you didn't need, especially given the fact that it is old enough to have 8 speed, there could even be a difference in width of the hub, but thats just getting a little more complicated. If I was you, I would take the slicks and put them on the wheels that came with the bike, a plain and simple straight swop. The 8 speed will not work with above mentioned components on the bike. Good luck  :thumbup:

I'm brand new to cycling.

I just bought a Silverback SpectaComp 2 weeks ago.  It has these things:

Shimano CS-HG50, 10 speed, 11-36T, Silver

Shimano XT Shadow Tech Plus RD-M786, Long Cage, 10 Speed, Black

I want to use slicks as I seem to be on the road more than the mountain for now.  I found a second hand set of tyres and rims for sale but there are 8 cogs.  Will this work with the above specs?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Ishmael

Hi Ish

I did that when i was starting cycling... built another set of wheels off of the Hub to quickly change my MTB from Off Road to Road... good idea.

one set were knobblies and one set were slicks.

You neeed to get wheels the same size and same cassette size as well as the brake rotor needs to be the same size..

the cassette both need to be10 speed as that will fit

Once you have found the correct specs it very easy to buy all the stuff off of the hub at a decent price as there are lots of nice people here selling their old stuff..

good luck mate

Hi Ish

I did that when i was starting cycling... built another set of wheels off of the Hub to quickly change my MTB from Off Road to Road... good idea.

one set were knobblies and one set were slicks.

You neeed to get wheels the same size and same cassette size as well as the brake rotor needs to be the same size..

the cassette both need to be10 speed as that will fit

Once you have found the correct specs it very easy to buy all the stuff off of the hub at a decent price as there are lots of nice people here selling their old stuff..

good luck mate

:thumbup:

Archived