Should I, Shouldn't I?

Tromps

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spend about R15k upgrading my bike recently (Spez Alu Epic) to full XTR, XTR Wheelset, KCNC bars, seatpole, stem, bar ends and a new saddle. I saved just under 1,5kg's weight wise. Spending the same amount upgrading the frame to carbon would have saved me +-300g and cost me the same. The bike feels like a completely new ride and a hell of a lot lighter!

Riding a hardtail first will make you a better rider. You learn to pay more attention to picking your lines and how to cope with technical sections of trail since a full-suspension bike makes these sections easier to negotiate.

They should not sell FS bikes to first time buyers. I've learned alot on my HT and for open flat sections I liked it more then the FS. But the FS is just sooooo much softer on the body. 60km off-road does not fees like 100km.

Are you saying that I should not be buying Crow's bike ?

Cause if you are its a bit late.

I debated this hardtail softail "learning" issue for a long time. I put as a priority being comfortable for long periods on the bike. Remember, I dont intend doing hours of technical stuff. Figured I would regret not getting a dual and having to upgrade later. The body can only handle so much and if a dual makes it easier so be it. On a dual one can learn to be a better rider, but you cant make a hardtail into a softail for comfort.

That said I will also be aware that I bought a softail, and that I will be relying on the bike in some sections I may encounter, but hey I will be riding with more experienced people and hopefully learn something from them.

NOW a more serious qstn..... how big a hammer are you allowed to take on mtn bike rides?

Good old Oliver Yes Tubes Thumbs%20Up

I still got a long way to go on my HT before i get a DS as i have not mastered picking my lines yet.

I can't handle a HT/DS. Every time i neuk into a nice switchback, i land up on my face

My last ride was about 95km's long. Cry My arse was M*****se seer

Now I know who you are, you are PappaBears friend right?? the one that did that 95km ride to Stellenbosch, Eden, Helz Dams and some other Hill over Helz and back t Durbanville??Tongue

Riding a hardtail first will make you a better rider. You learn to pay more attention to picking your lines and how to cope with technical sections of trail since a full-suspension bike makes these sections easier to negotiate.

They should not sell FS bikes to first time buyers. I've learned alot on my HT and for open flat sections I liked it more then the FS. But the FS is just sooooo much softer on the body. 60km off-road does not fees like 100km.

I debated this hardtail softail "learning" issue for a long time. I put as a priority being comfortable for long periods on the bike. Remember' date=' I dont intend doing hours of technical stuff. Figured I would regret not getting a dual and having to upgrade later. The body can only handle so much and if a dual makes it easier so be it. On a dual one can learn to be a better rider, but you cant make a hardtail into a softail for comfort.

That said I will also be aware that I bought a softail, and that I will be relying on the bike in some sections I may encounter, but hey I will be riding with more experienced people and hopefully learn something from them.

NOW a more serious qstn..... how big a hammer are you allowed to take on mtn bike rides?

[/quote']

If learning on a HT is suck a MOERSE isseu just lock you rear shock ffs.Wink

You don't race world cup. Leave carbon alone. Stick with durability. I ride carbon myself and unles you race, its a watse of time and money unless of course, you like bling

I debated this hardtail softail "learning" issue for a long time. I put as a priority being comfortable for long periods on the bike. Remember' date=' I dont intend doing hours of technical stuff. Figured I would regret not getting a dual and having to upgrade later. The body can only handle so much and if a dual makes it easier so be it. On a dual one can learn to be a better rider, but you cant make a hardtail into a softail for comfort.

[/quote']

If learning on a HT is suck a MOERSE isseu just lock you rear shock ffs.Wink

but thats what I said .....Wink

I'm currently on a Merrida HFS3000D which is an awesome frame. I am contemplating going to a carbon frame.

I weigh about 108kg's though' date=' should I, or shouldn't I?
[/quote']

Personally I'm very sceptic about the carbon frames' durability. I saw two broken frames at this year's Epic - both carbon!

oh' date=' sorry, did not read you postWink[/quote']

i wonder if i should try for a 30 page thread on the mountain bike shoes ???

I'm currently on a Merrida HFS3000D which is an awesome frame. I am contemplating going to a carbon frame.

I weigh about 108kg's though' date=' should I, or shouldn't I?
[/quote']

Personally I'm very sceptic about the carbon frames' durability. I saw two broken frames at this year's Epic - both carbon!

That is a very very big concern for me.

Definitely not(he'd kick my ass if I did)....it's not critical I don't think. As you rightly say' date=' someone who starts on a FS bike will over time probably become as good a rider.

I just always advise people to start on an entry-level bike.

I'll try and explain in more detail. When you ride a rigid bike, you automatically have to compensate for certain things on the trail ie rocks, roots, ruts that wouldn't bother you on a FS bike. This manner of riding eventually becomes 2nd nature, sub-conscious or whatever you wanna call it. So, when you upgrade to a FS bike you still apply these techniques to your riding, to an extent that in some instances you might even be over-compensating in certain situations. That's not a bad thing because it ultimately makes you a smoother rider.

Anyway....this is merely my opinion

The biggest one you can carry!

Minty, thanks for the detail.

Well if you and MR Crow are mates, we will meet sometime. Then we can ummm determine my riding techniques ...... Wacko