Urgent advice needed! - Is this a deal or not?

Anton Allen

Hey guys,

There is a bike shop nearby selling a specialized fuse (2016) for R14500, down from R23500! Now I dont care about it being an older model, but do you think this is a good deal? I haven't ridden for some time and am looking at getting back in to riding.. Yay or nay?

Hi Anton, welcome to the bikehub.

From what I can tell about the bike locally:
-probably a 650b wheelsize
-fatty tyres
-full alu frame 
-100 or 120mm suspension
-2x10 drivetrain (possibly 1x10?)

Personally I wouldn't use this bike, but then again I ride an dual sus epic. The price looks decent though, but it looks like it has x5 and x7 components, putting right there in the 10-15k bracket in my own view, maybe less.
Heck, there's no good answer for you as there is no indication of your type of riding you do, no idea if you have a current bike to compare it to, etc. so there is no means of giving an appropriate opinion/answer to your question.

Is it good value? To some perhaps, it seems decent, but for R14500 I'd personally buy a better specced 2nd hand bike off le hub.

Edited by Dirkitech

Thanks for the response! Actually I rode a bit when I was younger and now in 35 and looking to get back in to riding after a 4 year stint in Saudi Arabia. I bought a very entry level raleigh 29er but realized it wasnt going to do the trick for me for obvious reasons.. 

I have been riding giba gorge in durban, its mostly trail riding with some downhill stuff, but I am more in it for the fun aspect actually I have spent more time riding enduro (suzuki rmz450) but after so long in saudi I want to get fit. Ths is more something to have fun with than compete.

it has 120mm suspension

1x10 drivetrain

and yeah x5 and x7 components (good guess)

It also has dropper posts. I can imagine the fat tyres give it plenty cushion on downhills and a very comfortable ride.

Thanks for the advice, but the bikes on the forum are pretty pricey second hand, and not much selection in 'ol Durban

That's a good real on a bike that should be a hoot to ride. Since you come from a moto background, then a bike that can handle a bit of spice is a great idea.

It's not all out marathon machine, but is way more versatile.

I reckon go for it.

I'm saying that as someone who uses my 120mm travel hardtail to do everything, from Bikepacking to enduros (when my big bike is broken) and everything in between.

I've ridden one of these - they're great fun to ride.  Not all that many bikes 'feel' fun, but this is one of them.