First-Time Buying Tips

JarrydS

Hi all,

Looking at getting into the world of mountain biking and I was hoping some of you could share some tips for a first-time buyer. I want to avoid getting taken for a ride by the sales guy.

I think my absolute max for the bike is 12k...but ideally, below that considering I will need to buy a decent helmet and some bike shorts too.

That being said, I am quite set on getting the Silverback Spectra Comp with the air fork. Maybe the Sola 3 if I can get it at a decent price.

I have seen quite a few conflicting comments about buying new vs. buying used, but I think I would prefer to pick up a brand new bike.

What are some things I should look out for when speaking to whoever assists me at the bike shop? I'm sure they will naturally try and push some "extras" on me which I may not necessarily need.

Also, would it be worthwhile going for the Sola 3 over the Spectra?

I am based in Johannesburg if it's relevant.

Apologies if this has been asked a million times.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by JarrydS

First rule............make sure the size is right. No matter what bargains they have in different sizes, get the correct size.

Sept is usually a good time to buy a bike as the previous year's models are usually discounted to make way for new stock. Most of the time new stock means a different paint scheme. Shop around.

I'll choose new over second hand especially as a first time buyer. A credible bike shop will ensure it is the right size, it will be set up properly for you and you will get a warranty and peace of mind that some worn part is not going to fail on you. An entry level new bike is way better than a worn out top of the range used bike. If you are new to cycling, you may not know what to look for on a used bike.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I just picked up my Scott scale 970. Got it for R12999 from Cycle Lab and I'm super stoked with the bike so far. It was marked down from R16K.

Might be worth looking at.

Cheers