Gear Options for SingleSpeed Gravel/MTB

RaeTrewBrowne

Howdy all,

Looking for advice on a decent gear ratio for a single speed build that will be used for multiday gravel grinding and some non-technical single track. Potentially some big climbs. Anyone have any experience with this with a 32 x 18 gear setup? Not needing to set records on the flats, just want to be able to climb fairly comfortably with a loaded bike.

Shot!

Howdy all,

Looking for advice on a decent gear ratio for a single speed build that will be used for multiday gravel grinding and some non-technical single track. Potentially some big climbs. Anyone have any experience with this with a 32 x 18 gear setup? Not needing to set records on the flats, just want to be able to climb fairly comfortably with a loaded bike.

Shot!

I am doing the SS gravel thing at present, lots of SS MTB in the past.

Difficult question to answer without knowing your abilities/preferences.

If 32/18 on mtb is good for you then I would go with a 32/16 on gravel else you just spend too much time spinning on the flats. How much extra weight are you carrying, how steep/ long are the climbs?

Hi Johan, thanks for the reply. I'm relatively strong on the climbs, so going with a bigger gear on the climbs so I don't spin out too much on the flats sounds like a good idea. Potential climbs are like the Outeniqua Pass etc. First trip I am looking at is the Cross Cape Route which goes over quite a few longer passes. Bike won't be too loaded. Maybe a frame bag inside the main triangle, sleeping bag tied to handlebars, two smaller bags on the forks and a backpack with the other stuff. The back wheel has a flipflop hub with a 14T fixed cog if I really need it on a flat tar road with a tail wind.

A 2:1 ratio is a good place to start (for a 29er I assume).

>2:1 if you're strong and the riding is flat/easy.

<2:1 if you're building up strength and the riding is rolling/hilly.

I did the Swartberg grand fondo last year 39/20.

I was forced to walk 2 or 3 parts of the climb but not for long.

On a gravel bike 32/18 will be way to spinny. Basically, you 'should' be riding on roads and passes designed for cars, so the gradient is a bit more forgiving that jepp track and fire roads designed for 4x4s that we MTB on.

If you want to use it as a crossover bike you will need to go with something slightly easier.

I rode 39/20 up to the mast and around Tokai, the only real place I struggled was the link from the start of Cork Tree to the Kistenbosch contour..... That hill is a beast.

Most roads/passes are very rideable 2 to 1

I did the Swartberg grand fondo last year 39/20.

I was forced to walk 2 or 3 parts of the climb but not for long.

On a gravel bike 32/18 will be way to spinny. Basically, you 'should' be riding on roads and passes designed for cars, so the gradient is a bit more forgiving that jepp track and fire roads designed for 4x4s that we MTB on.

If you want to use it as a crossover bike you will need to go with something slightly easier.

I rode 39/20 up to the mast and around Tokai, the only real place I struggled was the link from the start of Cork Tree to the Kistenbosch contour..... That hill is a beast.

Most roads/passes are very rideable 2 to 1

Cool beans, thanks everyone. This is great!