Upgrade to Carbon Frame or Carbon Wheel set??

nunoza

Assuming the frames will have the same geometry and fit etc, your best upgrade would be better wheels, for the reasons already stated.

As for carbon specifically, be careful as to why you'd choose carbon over aluminium rims.

Upgraded wheels will give some kind of combination of the following benefits:

• Stronger and more durable
  • Lighter weight
  • Wider rims for better traction, comfort and reduced rolling resistance
  • Improved aesthetics
  • Improved freehub engagement

If you're a racing snake and looking to eke out every last drop of acceleration, then lighter weight is most important.

If you're looking for more composure and control over technical terrain, wider rims with higher volume tyres will be the reason you upgrade.

If you're an aggressive or heavy rider, durability will be your priority, where a strong, wide rim will be of most benefit.

At your stated budget of R10k, a premium alloy wheelset will be your best bet, rather than compromising and opting for cheap and possibly poor quality carbon.

Some options to consider would be good quality hubs like Hope Pro4 or DT Swiss 350, double butted spokes and brass nipples and one of the following rims:

DT Swiss XR391 - 25mm ID - 435g

DT Swiss XM421 - 25mm ID - 465g

Raceface ARC Offset 27mm ID - 480g with offse spoke bed for more even spoke tensions

Spank Oozy Trail 295 - 25mm ID and 490g (really strong)

Spank Oozy 350 - 30mm ID and bombproof - 495g

Let me know if you have questions.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Upgrading to KTM MASTER Carbon frame.....can't wait to give a run at the "FAST ONE" event this weekend 

How did your upgraded bike feel ?

Interesting

At your stated budget of R10k, a premium alloy wheelset will be your best bet, rather than compromising and opting for cheap and possibly poor quality carbon.

What would this be specifically - besides perhaps unbranded Chinese carbon.

Interesting

What would this be specifically - besides perhaps unbranded Chinese carbon.

That's a great question.

I would classify cheap and possibly poor quality as follows:

• Rims from brands with little or no track record - there are some Chinese brands that I would (and do) recommend, like Light Bicycle and Nextie. If it seems too good to be true (price) then it probably is. 
  • Used rims - it's impossible to know the product's history and any pre-existing damage. I've even seen premium brand used rims fail for the new owner shortly after purchase...

In my experience, there are 4 price levels for carbon rims:

1. Premium - ENVE, ZIPP etc which are really pricey - more than R10k per rim

2. "Branded" - rims like South Industries and cSixx - R6500-8000 per rim

3. Premium carbon - Nextie, Light Bicycle - R4-5000 per rim

4. Really cheap - less than R3500 per rim. I wouldn't touch these.

That's a great question.

I would classify cheap and possibly poor quality as follows:

• Rims from brands with little or no track record - there are some Chinese brands that I would (and do) recommend, like Light Bicycle and Nextie. If it seems too good to be true (price) then it probably is. 
  • Used rims - it's impossible to know the product's history and any pre-existing damage. I've even seen premium brand used rims fail for the new owner shortly after purchase...

In my experience, there are 4 price levels for carbon rims:

1. Premium - ENVE, ZIPP etc which are really pricey - more than R10k per rim

2. "Branded" - rims like South Industries and cSixx - R6500-8000 per rim

3. Premium carbon - Nextie, Light Bicycle - R4-5000 per rim

4. Really cheap - less than R3500 per rim. I wouldn't touch these.

Great, thanks for the insight. I changed to wide carbon rims almost three years with zero issues and definite improvement in stiffness - Pyga brand - also a heavy rider

How did your upgraded bike feel ?

Apologies for the late reply... the short answer is amazing.

There is an obvious weight difference however the biggest benefit I can articulate is the stiffness of the frame and smoother ride. The bike is MUCH more responsive when putting power down and I have grown in confidence over loose terrain. I don't have a ton of MTB experience (1 Sani2C and approx 3000km MTB in 2018). I feel like I'm really privileged to ride this frame.

Once I've completed a couple more stage races and built up more experience Ill relook at the wheelset.  Until then I have a lot of fun rides and experience to gain in 2019.

thanks to all for your input!