Safety on the Braamfontein Spruit?

ByronH

Looks like the same group returned, gun and all. They’ve been terrorizing the spruit for almost a year now.

Caught and now doubt released again on R100 bail or whatever.

• 4 months later...

Hi

Following on from this. 

A rider in our group had an attempted bike jacking / robbery just below Emerentia dam on the little bridge below the scouts hall. 3 guys, 1 with a gun waiting on the other side of the bridge. Luckily he managed to power his way through and rode away. the event happened at 6:15 am on a Friday (2021-08-27). It has been reported to Jozi trails and a host of other security companies so no need to alert the authorities. 

Please be careful.

Marc 

• 1 month later...

HubFam, please shed a light? Is the place rough and to be avoided, or is it worth a bash? 

Edited by Nick
Merged.

43 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

I ride it most days of the week and have done so for a few years and not been shot yet. Anecdote isn't proof but it's not exactly Mogadishu. 

Nico ????????????????????????

Been riding it every weekend for about 4 or 5 years. Our group of 5 has had 3 really close encounters and one actual attack. The things we avoid are riding it alone, riding in the week and riding really early say before 6:30……

the spruit is also very long so over 35km  one way you bound to have some dodgy areas. 

as for the trails, they are awesome, delta jump line is in really good condition, alberts farm has just been fenced in so a lot safer and Jozi trails continues to add trails and does an amazing job of trying to keep it safe.

Go and enjoy just be alert.

I often ride Delta Park, Emmarentia, Alberts Farm, Northcliff water tower solo on a weekend and have never had an issue yet. No guarantees though I guess.

I've ridden the Spruit often, always alone at varying times. Never had any hint of any danger. Just have your wits about you, as per normal. Look and scan ahead.

I've done the entire length, even passing through the William Nicol squatter camp and riding on the other side past the horse camp and tennis club. I've often thought it's a pity the trails don't carry on there. I think there is space.

Anyway, be safe and enjoy.

• 1 year later...
On 3/28/2021 at 4:47 PM, Kevin11 said:

Heads up to all cyclists using spruit.

2 mountain bikers held up this morning 6:50am at the long concrete bridge below Old Parks.

2 assailants - armed with handgun and knife. One younger, tall and skinny wearing dark pants and top. Older was bald and wearing brown jersey.

Cellphones and watches stolen, bike tyres slashed. No injuries.

Please be vigilant and stay safe.

Hi Kevin, I know I'm a bit late to the party.. Do you know the people who were involved here? This sounds identical to my mugging which happened that same week, by the river crossing just after PnP heading towards Delta.