GIANT propel

josevieira777

Hi to all

I’ve got a 2016 propel (black frame with blue writing) love the bike had a tcr before I find the propel is quit sensitive on the steering when I go over 55km/h on descents feels like I’m going to loose control very scary at times been to lbs they checked headset all is in order anybody experienced this at all? I’ve played with pressures on tyres and still no change. 25mm conti tyres I’m 80kg tried 7.0bar-7.8bar and no difference on handling.

Sounds strange man... There shouldn't be anything inherently wrong with a bike, nor can there really be anything to make a bike twitchy other than too short a stem, or crosswinds...

Out of my advice depth, hopefully someone will have better insight..

Twitchy or a shimy?

If it's not a rising vibration then it's likely a worn bearing in the headset, front wheel or rear wheel. Get a second opinion from a different lbs.

If it's a shimy check your wheels for trueness. If there's a buckle it will manifest above 45km/hr.

The propel is a very stiff frame so it's doesn't handle imperfect bearings and wheel very well

Has this just started or always been the case.

I have propel, its a twitchy bike like a purebred. Highly strung and sensitive to inputs.

Certainly not as relaxed and settled at high speed as my sportive bike.

I know when I had a shorter stem it felt very twitchy - 90mm - I fitted a 100mm and all sorted - I do also run a fairly wide bar @ 440mm. The 90mm was only due to inflexibility I had.

Wheel bearings also need as little play as possible (if not completely nil).

The really funny thing is that it basically shares the same geometry the TCR has... Double checked this on Giant website... so does the TCR just flex more and thus feels less "twitchy"

I know when I had a shorter stem it felt very twitchy - 90mm - I fitted a 100mm and all sorted - I do also run a fairly wide bar @ 440mm. The 90mm was only due to inflexibility I had.

Wheel bearings also need as little play as possible (if not completely nil).

The really funny thing is that it basically shares the same geometry the TCR has... Double checked this on Giant website... so does the TCR just flex more and thus feels less "twitchy"

Ya that extra bit of flex adds a bit of forgiveness.

Thanks guys I’ve tried campy scirocco brand new wheels my training wheels then put on mavic Ksyriums sls I have at home same problem occurred very strange as I’m ocd with my bike all checking done regularly and headset checked often etc I do find on a smooth road surface it’s less twitchy though wonder if it is maybe the pressure on the tyres? As the frame is stiff but I’ll maybe get a second opinion maybe there’s a faulty bearing in the headset?

Has this just started or always been the case.

I have propel, its a twitchy bike like a purebred. Highly strung and sensitive to inputs.

Certainly not as relaxed and settled at high speed as my sportive bike.

it always been like this I experience it on allandale rd midrand in jhb mainly its not the smoothest of roads and lots of wind there at times but don’t think this should be the norm on a propel?

Twitchy or a shimy?

If it's not a rising vibration then it's likely a worn bearing in the headset, front wheel or rear wheel. Get a second opinion from a different lbs.

If it's a shimy check your wheels for trueness. If there's a buckle it will manifest above 45km/hr.

The propel is a very stiff frame so it's doesn't handle imperfect bearings and wheel very well

I ride brand new campy wheels and Mavic wheels does the same thing maybe being a carbon propel from a Alu TCR it’s a different ball game?

I ride brand new campy wheels and Mavic wheels does the same thing maybe being a carbon propel from a Alu TCR it’s a different ball game?

the Propel is a stiff frame and its also affected by gusts of wind a lot more than the TCR due to its aero profile tubes. So at 55km/hr, if the bearings are eliminated as the problem, its likely the aero-sensitivity of the frame itself or also possibly the wheels aero-sensitivity. 

Does your wheels have flat bladed spokes? If Yes try a wheelset with round spokes but  deeper section rims.

try riding a TT bike at that speed in gusty conditions....

Had the same problem with my propel.

Had it checked out and was found to be normal behaviour with these bikes.

I also had the same problem when I had a propel , bike felt unstable when at higher speed, fitting wider bars (44cm) helped it a little

Had the same problem with my propel.

Had it checked out and was found to be normal behaviour with these bikes.

it’s what I was thinking,on the straights it’s a dream and goes like no other maybe I must adjust to it and like I said the stiff frame is new to me.

I had the 2016 propel for about a year and cant remember having this issue. Had 50mm wheels on them, 44mm carbon bars, 90mm stem.

Came down the M19 in Durban a few times at 70km/h and never felt unstable.

Get the bike checked out by someone else.

Archived