Best Light ?

Jaquesdp

Hi guys,

Now that the sun is setting earlier i will need some light the last 30min to hour of my ride after work.

What is the best out there and lightest and smallest :-)

Thanks

What is your budget? I’ve been using a Garmin UT800 for a while now. Very compact, and good battery life. The Bontrager Ion range is also excellent.

To be seen or to see?

Front or rear?

I have never  needed more more than 600w , no matter how dark it is   :mellow:

Get a diffuser to spread the beam.

But if you are at the sharp end and a podium contender, I guess things go by much faster so get the light that says 2000 or whatever.  

Rear, Bont flare (get one that works as they are having problems with the current batch - as per LBS)

Strip lights (the new range) are flipping fantastic to be seen, any manufacturer type works.  Try find one with a cobb light.  Rechargeable.

Also have been happy using the Flea, front and back.

Based on my personal experience during the past year - Bontrager Ion/Flare!

They are a little more expensive than some of the other light but well worth it - the additional upside is that they work brilliantly in conjunction with your compatible Garmin edge device for auto light adjustment etc.

I've commuted throughout the European winter - Ion 800RT up front and a Flare RT at the back of the saddle post. In addition, also used a Ion 200 RT at the front of my helmet and a Ion 200 Flare at the back of my helmet for the really snowy/misty days - I looked like a Christmas tree being lit up but had zero near misses whilst travelling throughout the heart of Brussels.

The further upside is the "day flash" mode - all forms of traffic see you from a mile away and they charge via USB - have charging cables at home and at the office and you're set for whenever you need to charge (which is every 3-5 days for me).

cool thanks..

no definetly not podium rider hehe..

no budget really , the ones ive looked at had battery pack that you need to strap around the frame somewhere and dont like that idea.. will have look at bontrager and its cool that will integrate with garmin..

thanks all

cool thanks..

no definetly not podium rider hehe..

no budget really , the ones ive looked at had battery pack that you need to strap around the frame somewhere and dont like that idea.. will have look at bontrager and its cool that will integrate with garmin..

thanks all

I tried the battery pack thing. Flippen irritating 

If you don't want a battery pack, you can look at bringing in an Exposure light, I simply love the brand and their innovation, but be prepared to pay.

Otherwise, to be very honest, look at the usual generic lights you can pick up for R699, the Exteme Lights range is also good, but honestly, you do not have to fork out thousands of rands if you are not going to be doing proper night time riding, but that is just my opinion.  You can get carried away with lights, with thousands different opinions.

https://www.wiggle.com/exposure/lights/

There was a 600 lumen one from Marvel at CWC for R400..bar mounted. 1hr full beam...couple of hours low beam. Not too bad. I use this to get to my trails then put my helmet light on.

My morning commutes are before sunrise, so I USE my lights ...

Bontrager flare, set to strobe, at the back - USB rechargeble

Cheapy on strobe at the back, AAA batteries - will replace this light at some point.

YES - two separate lights, some distance apart, strobing at different rates really works !

I have a button type RED strobing to the side.

On the front I used to have a USB rechargable light "to see" the road.  I now mostly run this on strobe, may have to revert back to "on" in the dark of winter. RYDER

Then another white button light on strobe to the front.

For my MTB I bought a SMALL USB rechargable white light for the front.  Longer heavier lights move too much on the trails, this short stubby light works perfectly on the trails.  Seriously bright, but sure its battery life cant be too long (bought it last month, so early to comment ..)  I use this on strobe setting when riding on tar to the trail. RYDER

On the back of the MTB I have another USB rechargable bar-light, also set to strobe. RYDER

I do prefer a random-strobe setting.

And YES, whatever you buy, only buy USB rechargable 

If you don't want a battery pack, you can look at bringing in an Exposure light, I simply love the brand and their innovation, but be prepared to pay.

Otherwise, to be very honest, look at the usual generic lights you can pick up for R699, the Exteme Lights range is also good, but honestly, you do not have to fork out thousands of rands if you are not going to be doing proper night time riding, but that is just my opinion.  You can get carried away with lights, with thousands different opinions.

https://www.wiggle.com/exposure/lights/

AGREED

Night riding is a special application !!

For the typical commute it is NOT the "brightness", but much rather the strobe that works best.