Is this a good deal?

JPienaar

Hey guys.

I am on the hunt for a used mountain bike to start cycling on, and I need your help to decide if this is a good deal.

29er SILVERBACK SPECTRA COMP

Shimano ACERA rear derailleur

Shimano ALTUS front derailleur

Shimano ALTUS shiftres

Shimano hydraulic brakes

SR SUNTOUR remote lockout shox

22" (Large) frame

9 x 3 speed

R5500

It is being sold by 'Cycle & Gym Worx'. Have any of you worked with them and was it a good experience?

If you guys suggest something else keep in mind I am on a budget of R6000 and need a large frame.

Thank you

(Link to the Gumtree ad)

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-mountain-bikes/johannesburg-cbd/29er-silverback-spectra-comp-mountain-bike/1004545275840910003592209

Hi JPienaar ..

It seems a little pricey in my opinion .... 3 x 9 speed is old school, so as you move along with the sport, you will be dropping money on upgrades... Then the components then selves are entry level at best, and the shock on the bike is also very entry level. so I feel that this is just an ok machine, and best suited for a bit of road riding, but if you want to go play in the dirt, it has limitations... I have never dealt with the shop and this is just my opinion. 

Hi JPienaar ..

It seems a little pricey in my opinion .... 3 x 9 speed is old school, so as you move along with the sport, you will be dropping money on upgrades... Then the components then selves are entry level at best, and the shock on the bike is also very entry level. so I feel that this is just an ok machine, and best suited for a bit of road riding, but if you want to go play in the dirt, it has limitations... I have never dealt with the shop and this is just my opinion. 

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep looking.