Race to the sun

bluewhite

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Hi all, i am resuscitating this thread. I have signed up for the ride this year (i luckily managed to get an entry). 

I am tossing up whether to use my carbon dual suspension bike vs my steel gravel bike. The gravel bike has 40c tyres and is probably about 1.5kg lighter than the DS bike.

It would be great to understand the road conditions. i am keen to make it as easy as possible as the distance will be a stretch for me.

I am interested in an entry.

If there is anyone with one they won't be using, please will you PM me.

Thanks in advance

Hi all, i am resuscitating this thread. I have signed up for the ride this year (i luckily managed to get an entry). 

I am tossing up whether to use my carbon dual suspension bike vs my steel gravel bike. The gravel bike has 40c tyres and is probably about 1.5kg lighter than the DS bike.

It would be great to understand the road conditions. i am keen to make it as easy as possible as the distance will be a stretch for me.

My experience from last year on an alu HT, the first bit was fast and flowing perfect for a gravel bike.  The second bit was rough with a lot of corrugation and some rocky stretches, where I would have preferred a DS bike.

If you are happy with a grind through the corrugation and rocky bits, then go for the Gravel. I wouldn't have, but many other peeps do and will.  Think the winner last year was on a gravel bike.

Thanks - i am not looking to be the fastest. I think i am solving for finishing with the least pain so maybe the DS option is best

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if there's a shuttle service available? Doesn't seem like it from the website.

There is a shuttle service available. You need to log onto your entryninja profile and 'add merchandise' - you have two options: one leaving Sun City at 13h00 and one leaving at 17h00

I booked the 17h00 shuttle :o(

The info on the website is not great but there is someone that answers the telephone line and they assisted me

There is a shuttle service available. You need to log onto your entryninja profile and 'add merchandise' - you have two options: one leaving Sun City at 13h00 and one leaving at 17h00

I booked the 17h00 shuttle :o(

The info on the website is not great but there is someone that answers the telephone line and they assisted me

Perfect, thank you!

Thanks - i am not looking to be the fastest. I think i am solving for finishing with the least pain so maybe the DS option is best

I did the race two years ago with gravel steel bike on 38 tyres. Lots of fun, but far from comfortable. Given your goal, it would make more sense to take the DS.