Newbie looking for starter bike

Echo25

Hi

I am brand new to MTB'ing. Looking to to buy my first bike. Narrowed it down to either a Titan Drone Trail 29er or a Momsen AL229.

Any thoughts or recommendations.

Thanks in advance

Welcome

I just went trough the same exercise with a two of my friends (both have R5000 budget). The one settled on a Momsen (second hand, but in very good condition). The other friend has a prosthetic leg and short normal leg. For him we are looking at a second hand 26" duel suspension bike (main reasons is the amount of bike for the money)

Personally I think both bikes you listed are fine for starting.

Both are good options... Id say be patient... keep an eye on the classifieds and get the first good deal that pops up with either of those options (or other options of a similar price bracket). If you unsure if its a good deal... post them here and many an experienced eye will be able to advise.

The usual note of considerations: Dont forget to budget for a helmet and some of the other extras you may need... Happy Riding!

It's smart to look at South African brands: you get more than you will for the same money with overseas brands.

It's all about the parts. If this hobby bites you are going to kick yourself that you didn't spend a little more in the beginning. You are likely going to want one/two/five groupsets (or suspension, or lighter frame ... you get the idea) better than your first bike has. Selling bike #1 that you bought new will lose you money.

2c.

Find a good dealer, speak with them about what you want out of the hobby. A good dealer will let you test ride a few bikes. Explore used bikes (especially when on a budget: you can get much more that way but beware of dishonest deals). Buy at least one notch higher than you think you can afford  :w00t:  but crucially, go have a real live conversation with a reputable bike shop. 

I would say the Momsen 229 is better spec'ed than the Titan and both around 9500. If you want to buy new I would say the Momsen otherwise have a look used can pick up quite a nice bike for 10k+-