Silicone based spray lubricant

WaynejG

Someone in our riding group mentioned a silicone based spray lube that you can use on the suspension and pretty much anything on your bike. Apparently about R220 for a tin at LBS.

Would something like Wynn's silicone lubricant also work? At roughly R80 per tin it seems a cheaper alternative.

Someone in our riding group mentioned a silicone based spray lube that you can use on the suspension and pretty much anything on your bike. Apparently about R220 for a tin at LBS.

Would something like Wynn's silicone lubricant also work? At roughly R80 per tin it seems a cheaper alternative.

I feel putting anything other than suspension lube on what is in most cases the most expensive components on a bike is a bad idea. At like 9k to replace, using the right stuff as apposed to alternatives is the best idea, let alone cheap alternatives.

Also silo on lube is not a long lasting lube and washes/wears away quickly. So probably not a good idea for chains either.

Edited by Reme Le Hane

Before every ride I wipe my stanchions clear of any dust and spray with just silicon spray. Not sure how good the silicon spray is but it is more of a mind thing.

However clearing ALL the dust is important especially at the wipers. 

Just remember that silicon is NOT a lubricant.

Edited by porqui

Always treat your toys with good products. Brunox comes highly recommended and I use it.

garage door cable lube is silicone based. Silicon lube would be bad for your health...and your fork but somehow PC

Silicone lubes are ok to wipe down the stanchions and damper shaft just to remove some of the detergent you wash the bike with and make things a little more slick for the wiper seals