[Event] The G&T 50Miler

Gravel Travel Events

If you have a Gravel Bike, there is no reason not to do this event    :devil: ! :D

There's gravel and gravel.  The Amarider earlier this year was "gravel friendly", but no ways in hell I would have ridden that on my gravel grinder.

Far too many corrugated sections, with their associated thick sand

Edited by Sbloomer

where and when is race registration please?

can't find info.

We will be sending event info to all entrants via email on Wed (28/8) evening. But here are they anyways:

Registration: 1 Sept 2019 at Doolhof Wine Estate, Wellington from 7h00 until event start (map/directions https://doolhof.com/contact-us/)

Rider or distance changes: Can be done when you register at Doolhof

Online entries close: Wednesday 28 Aug at 17h00. Online entries here: https://www.entryninja.com/events/event/48902-gt50miler

Late entries: At Doolhof on race day at an additional cost

Start times:

Men (50Miler): 8h45

Ladies (25Miler and 50Miler): 8h50

Men (25Miler): 8h55

Timing: Manual timing done by Great Time - no timing chips needed

Prize-giving: 13h00 (adjustable according to riders finishing)

Prizes: First 3 males and first 3 females overall - no age category prizes

Food, drink & entertainment: Doolhof Malbec Gin, Berg River Brew Craft Beer, Doolhof Wines, Cooldrinks, Coffee, lots of food options & supervised kids area (yes, you can leave your child with us while you go ride)

Results: Available on www.great-time.co.za

Other: We are also hosting the Dirty Double Off-road Duathlon and Trail Runs at Doolhof on Sunday - so there is something to do for everyone. Entries for the Dirty Double here: https://www.entryninja.com/events/event/42002-dirty-double

There's gravel and gravel. The Amarider earlier this year was "gravel friendly", but no ways in hell I would have ridden that on my gravel grinder.

Far too many corrugated sections, with their associated thick sand

This was a seriously fun event and very well marshaled with clear signage everywhere.

The route was very challenging and exciting with spectacular views.

Waterpoints were well stocked with pancakes, banana bread and a few fruits.

Maybe just one or two things to consider for next year:

Some people were a bit upset about the separate starting times for men and women as people wanted to ride with their partners, etc.

By the time some of the slower riders got in, there was no more food available to purchase as the only people catering had already closed up shop around 13h00.

Finally, that downhill segment at the top of Bainskloof was brilliant.

It was a great event, and generally well organised.  Well signposted and the water points were well stocked, and an excellent route.

A few negatives though.

• The separate starts for men and women, supposedly in the interest of safety was badly conceived.  Just split the groups by numbers, not gender, just like every fun ride there was, ever.
  • As a backmarker I can only echo what was said before.  The lack of food at the end was a disgrace.  If you have caterers, they need to go the whole 9 yards.  You expect the riders to.  They can show the same respect.  Thank heavens there was some beer, some cameraderie, and the most excellent MC for injecting some humour.
  • The event was also advertised as having entertainment for children, even going so far as saying there was supervision for them when the parents went cycling.  Where was this?
  • After seeing me off, my family tried to leave, wanting to come back later.  After specifically asking someone where to park and to make sure this would be possible, some plank in a black personalised-plate Ranger had sealed off the only exit to that part of the parking.  Security really didn't care less.  It took an hour for them to find a way out and leave.

I'll be back.  It was a great ride but the small issues can ruin the day.

Edited by Sbloomer