Any VW salesmen after a quick sale?

King_Crispy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have owned a number of French cars, never had an issue with em. Used to receive great service from PEugeot Fourways.

Safe, reliable, and resale value was not as bad as some other brands including the german ones.

When we left ZA we sold our cars back to the dealership an received a fair price.

Speaking of cars, for the most part ppl don't have the same relationship with cars here than what ppl do in ZA. Of course I am generalising but here I hae no idea how much HP my car makes, I just don't care. Its a body mover , nothing more.

I have owned a number of French cars, never had an issue with em. Used to receive great service from PEugeot Fourways.

Safe, reliable, and resale value was not as bad as some other brands including the german ones.

When we left ZA we sold our cars back to the dealership an received a fair price.

Speaking of cars, for the most part ppl don't have the same relationship with cars here than what ppl do in ZA. Of course I am generalising but here I hae no idea how much HP my car makes, I just don't care. Its a body mover , nothing more.

The chap I work with is a big car lover and drives a 7 series and his wife a 5 series..... An absolute pleasure to drive compared to my vw and not that much difference with fuel consumption because it's a diesel.... But.... The initial outlay and parts is where it stings. I'm more than happy with my polo... It gets me from a to b... But then I've never got a Woody over cars...I like the one that is going to cost me the least over time.

We are looking at buying a newer car to replace my wife's old fiesta and I'm more than happy to drive something like an i20

The chap I work with is a big car lover and drives a 7 series and his wife a 5 series..... An absolute pleasure to drive compared to my vw and not that much difference with fuel consumption because it's a diesel.... But.... The initial outlay and parts is where it stings. I'm more than happy with my polo... It gets me from a to b... But then I've never got a Woody over cars...I like the one that is going to cost me the least over time.

We are looking at buying a newer car to replace my wife's old fiesta and I'm more than happy to drive something like an i20

Me too.

I only need to get around to see clients and I don't need absolute luxury to do that.

The i20 looks like a cool little car but I heard the new ones have a *** gearbox?

The Kia Rio also seems to be a lekker tjorrie

Definitely something to concider. But any desirable car will be a theft risk. Locally probably only brands like Alfa, GWM, Peugeot and Volvos are lower theft risk brands because even a high jacker has his standards

Yep - I always felt a Saab could be left unlocked and no-one would ever take it....

Me too.

I only need to get around to see clients and I don't need absolute luxury to do that.

The i20 looks like a cool little car but I heard the new ones have a *** gearbox?

The i20's and Rio's are great. But (at least over here in Aus) the additional extra to get a lot  more space was not much at all. Hence popularity of the i30 and Cerato (I went with the Kia).

We have a Rio. More by accident than design. My wife liked it so I bought it while still in za an she was here already.

Proven to be an extremely dependable lil car. Starts on the button winter or summer. Passes MOT no problem an has a 7 year warranty. Not that it’s been needed. Would buy another in a heart beat

I'd take the rio over the i20 in this country. Somehow Kia manages to bring the cars in with slightly better spec than huyndai

Other alternative is Mazda

Other alternative is Mazda

Here in Ireland the Mazda 2 is the top passer for the annual NCT (cor)....in second place.... The Mazda 3

Me too.

I would stay clear of the i20. I drove one the other day as a rental. It had 15000km on, the clutch was crap. The gear ratio's are very short between 1-2,2-3. You need to ref it hard to get some power from it. And at 120km/h it is loose on the road

I would stay clear of the i20. I drove one the other day as a rental. It had 15000km on, the clutch was crap. The gear ratio's are very short between 1-2,2-3. You need to ref it hard to get some power from it. And at 120km/h it is loose on the road

I drove one today at the dealership in Strijdompark.

It had 19k on the clock and it had clutch shudder. Scared me off.

I also looked at a Kia Rio. Same problems.

Then I went across the road to VW and drove a new Polo. F0kkit. Chalk and cheese.

Same price as the Korean cr@p, just light years ahead them. Guess I've never got the VW bug out of me. Will be looking for a sharper pencil from the volksie salesman on Monday

Here in Ireland the Mazda 2 is the top passer for the annual NCT (cor)....in second place.... The Mazda 3

This is the only other big brand car I have yet to test drive. Not sure I want to after driving the new Polo today

I. Will be looking for a sharper pencil from the volksie salesman on Monday

why? Does the salesman not deserve to earn some money?

Every cent you bargain him down is a decrease he in his commission on the sale.

Commissions are based on how much profit is made on the sale, and on volume sellers like the polo there is probably not much profit to begin with.

As much as you deserve not to be ripped off, the salesman deserves to also not be ripped off.

I drove one today at the dealership in Strijdompark.

It had 19k on the clock and it had clutch shudder. Scared me off.

I also looked at a Kia Rio. Same problems.

Then I went across the road to VW and drove a new Polo. F0kkit. Chalk and cheese.

Same price as the Korean cr@p, just light years ahead them. Guess I've never got the VW bug out of me. Will be looking for a sharper pencil from the volksie salesman on Monday

Exactly my experience, the following week I had the base VW Polo Vivo hatch as rental. Man, it just felt so familiar. The gear ratios, the accelaration when needed, road holding, the interior....

Anyway, each have their preferences. Good luck with the decission you have to make. If you not happu with the salesman, speak to his principle. If still not happy, take it up with the big bosses. Even throw in some social media....

why? Does the salesman not deserve to earn some money?

Every cent you bargain him down is a decrease he in his commission on the sale.

Commissions are based on how much profit is made on the sale, and on volume sellers like the polo there is probably not much profit to begin with.

As much as you deserve not to be ripped off, the salesman deserves to also not be ripped off.

Salesman ain’t at gun point. If he/she ain’t happy with the deal they can say no. Surely?

It’s called negotiating. With factory kick backs and volume discounts and all sorts of economics dark arts money is made in a number of ways.

Salesman ain’t at gun point. If he/she ain’t happy with the deal they can say no. Surely?

It’s called negotiating. With factory kick backs and volume discounts and all sorts of economics dark arts money is made in a number of ways.

Actually he can’t say no, his manager can, but won’t. So poor sales guy will land up making a measly few hundred rand for his efforts.

And his efforts don’t stop when you say yes, that’s where his work begins.

There is a perception that dealerships and salespeople make lots of cash, where in actual fact it’s no where close to what people think.

Factory kick backs are already applied when discounts are added to the quote, the dealerships margin, especially on volume brands is very little. You’d laugh and walk out if that was given to you as a discount.

Volume incentives go to the dealership, most brands the salesman does not see this. It’s usually used for marketing, maintenance and other little things.

So yes, you have the right to negotiate, but please be aware that the margins are not as big as you think and the poor salesman needs to put food on the table.

Archived