[Event] SouthxSoutheast

rossgarrett

Event Name: SouthxSoutheast
When: 20 October 2019
Where: The Stone Cellar, Gauteng
Category: MTB

SouthxSoutheast or SxSE is a Gravel Fondo bike race in South-East Gauteng taking place on the 20th of October 2019, approximately an hour outside of JHB. The race is open to all drop bar gravel bikes, of any sort! The Troyville Flamingoes Cycling Club will host the event, with the start at The Stone Cellar (Suikerbosrand River banks). The race will tackle a host of gravel roads and jeep track in the surrounding area, covering 110km with over 1100m of vertical ascent. It will be a classic self-timed event with a top 3 podium, points category and segment category.

Go to Event Page

hubevents-80847-0-65673600-1566900672_thumb.jpg

Edited by rossgarrett

• 3 weeks later...

Lekker, hopefully see you there! I have entered as well

I'll be on a red/orange Titan Switch in Germiston red colours. I'll be happy to suck wheel! 

• 3 weeks later...

Reading the route description

#metoo.

I should have done so before entering, now it is too late.

Ah well, someone has to get the lantern rouge

#metoo.

Could be a tough fight between us for that spot mate!

#metoo.

I presume you mean this - 

SHORTLY AFTERWARDS IT TAKES A RIGHT TURN ONTO SOME FARM JEEP TRACK AND STARTS TO ASCEND. THIS ISOLATED PASS WINDS ITS WAY OVER STEEP ROCKY TERRAIN THROUGH AN EXQUISITE GAME FARM. THE LIKELIHOOD IS THAT RIDERS WILL PORTAGE CX-STYLE UP THE LOOSE ROCKY ASCENT. THE FIRST SEGMENT FOR GOOD MEASURE! 

Edited by mecheng89

I presume you mean this - 

SHORTLY AFTERWARDS IT TAKES A RIGHT TURN ONTO SOME FARM JEEP TRACK AND STARTS TO ASCEND. THIS ISOLATED PASS WINDS ITS WAY OVER STEEP ROCKY TERRAIN THROUGH AN EXQUISITE GAME FARM. THE LIKELIHOOD IS THAT RIDERS WILL PORTAGE CX-STYLE UP THE LOOSE ROCKY ASCENT. THE FIRST SEGMENT FOR GOOD MEASURE! 

I guess we just take it as it comes hey! If it's too rocky I'mma just walk it

#roadieforlife

Reading the route description

Must have been updated very recently. Thanks for pointing it out, I was quite naive thinking it was all going to be smooth, wide open gravel "highway".

'gnarly descent'

'sharp Stoney rollers'

Sounds a bit like a mountain bike course but you're only allowed a gravel bike mmmm .... Tempted to make some changes to my bike for this!

Put back those CX style brake levers and run 2.1 MTB tyres?

'gnarly descent'

'sharp Stoney rollers'

Sounds a bit like a mountain bike course but you're only allowed a gravel bike mmmm .... Tempted to make some changes to my bike for this!

Put back those CX style brake levers and run 2.1 MTB tyres?

Wish I could make mods. Will just have to take the morning as it comes. Not going to be ashamed of walking. Would rather like to spare the bike for the "gravel highways", where I can hopefully make up ground. 

I thought Stoney was a soft drink  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

Edited by mecheng89

Wish I could make mods. Will just have to take the morning as it comes. Not going to be ashamed of walking. Would rather like to spare the bike for the "gravel highways", where I can hopefully make up ground.

I thought Stoney was a soft drink :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

On second thoughts .... think I'll wing it as well, join you 'klapping 'n toon' if I have to!