Hartebeespoort MTB Route

Dorpie

Hey all,

A bunch of us have been keen to venture out to Hartees and back on the bikes but haven't been able to stitch a full (SAFE) route together. I've seen a few routes past the locations in Lanseria and past Diepsloot but not keen on getting bikejacked thanks.

Is there anyone that has a proper route (preferably as much off offroad as possible) from Lanseria...ish or the Cradle to Hartees and back.

We are all experienced riders so not to worried if it gets technical and fit enough to pull out a FONDO if need be.

If you have a GPX file please feel free to pop me an email or via Whatsapp on 0823211261 and drkrul@gmail.com

I'll use what you have and stitch it together with routes that we have have heading out from Muldersdrift.

Much Love  :thumbup:

Does this help you?

https://www.strava.com/routes/21517251

Used to ride this regularly, but I haven't ridden it in a few years now - basically takes off from the Home of the Chicken Pie, that's an easy hop from Lanseria. This skirts a few farms on the way up past kalkheuwel (passes kalkheuwel wide on the left - keep away from the housing preferably), then descends down some great dual track to the satellite tracking road.

Then climbs up onto some of the Van Gaalens single track to cross the next ridge (or you could turn left and come through Skeerpoort on the dirt road). that would put you somewhere around the cheese farm.

Edited by 100Tours

If you look around you on the way up there's usually some interesting stuff up there too. You'll see old lead mines, and we have previously found secretary birds and Eland and Sable antelope on the ridge. Also was previously a really crazy and fun downhill singletrack cut, but I think it has grown over because it was too close to one of the historical sites. 

Edited by 100Tours

Hey all,

A bunch of us have been keen to venture out to Hartees and back on the bikes but haven't been able to stitch a full (SAFE) route together. I've seen a few routes past the locations in Lanseria and past Diepsloot but not keen on getting bikejacked thanks.

Is there anyone that has a proper route (preferably as much off offroad as possible) from Lanseria...ish or the Cradle to Hartees and back.

We are all experienced riders so not to worried if it gets technical and fit enough to pull out a FONDO if need be.

If you have a GPX file please feel free to pop me an email or via Whatsapp on 0823211261 and drkrul@gmail.com

I'll use what you have and stitch it together with routes that we have have heading out from Muldersdrift.

Much Love :thumbup:

Where do you want to ride from?

You can start from Home of the chicken pie or from Nikita.

We used to ride from Chicken pie to van Gaalens and back. Was a bloody tough 95kms of offroad.

Have a look at this thread, useful info to be had

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/130475-mtb-route-from-jhb-north-to-hartbeespoort-dam/

https://www.strava.com/activities/558156421

BA to Pecanwood spar one way  

Looks like a slightly more direct option along the R512 once you have reached the Home of the Chicken Pie. Less chance of unexpected obstacles, but perhaps less adventurous :-D.

Eric (of van Gaalens/Route 66 fame) had cut a single track from the first dirt road right after Chicken Pie all the way down to the crocodile river - although this has not been kept up for the last 5 years or so, so will be a bit rough in places. You will see the single track if driving the road if you look for it.  The route is almost entirely on the right (east) side of the road. I would say that this is better ridden in the other direction however, i.e. starting at Kalkheuwel and ending at Chicken Pie, just because the climbs/descents work out better in this direction.

Looks like a slightly more direct option along the R512 once you have reached the Home of the Chicken Pie. Less chance of unexpected obstacles, but perhaps less adventurous :-D.

Eric (of van Gaalens/Route 66 fame) had cut a single track from the first dirt road right after Chicken Pie all the way down to the crocodile river - although this has not been kept up for the last 5 years or so, so will be a bit rough in places. You will see the single track if driving the road if you look for it.  The route is almost entirely on the right (east) side of the road. I would say that this is better ridden in the other direction however, i.e. starting at Kalkheuwel and ending at Chicken Pie, just because the climbs/descents work out better in this direction.

Most of that singletrack has been dug up by fibre contractors. Not sure how much is still ridable. (This year's R66 did not use this as they traditionally did because of this)

We used to do this one often.

On the way back, stopped at Ale house for courage beer and pizza before the climbing back to Maggie's farm