Jump to content

Ironman 70.3 Durban 2021


shaper
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Very tough day in the wind today, especially after recovering from illness (covid) prior to racing and trying to keep HR in zone 2.  Due to the age group start time, we had the worst of it.  I was actually the last to start the swim today.  By the time we got to swim the wind was already up.  Bike leg was not much fun into a very strong and gusting head and cross wind and there was no improvement on the run.  A long day for sure, but good to be racing again!!

Edited by shaper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, shaper said:

Very tough day in the wind today, especially after recovering from illness (covid) prior to racing and trying to keep HR in zone 2.  Due to the age group start time, we had the worst of it.  I was actually the last to start the swim today.  By the time we got to swim the wind was already up.  Bike leg was not much fun into a very strong and gusting head and cross wind and there was no improvement on the run.  A long day for sure, but good to be racing again!!

4th in your AG is not bad for zone 2! haha

I was wondering if/or how much wind was around. The difference between each bike leg was almost 10 kph! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

4th in your AG is not bad for zone 2! haha

I was wondering if/or how much wind was around. The difference between each bike leg was almost 10 kph! 

Thanks, due to recovering from covid and trying to keep HR down as I regain fitness, it was somewhat hard mentally not to be racing but treating it as a "training" race.  I was at least 45mins slower than normal and a good 15mins slower on the run than my last two 70.3's.  In part this to Zone 2 and definitely more due to the wind.  It was gusting almost gale force at times, difficult conditions for racing later in the day, especially on the second loop on the bike leg and felt like a head wind out and on the way back.  Also with a reduced field, only 1300 athletes (not the usual 2500), one of the most honest bike legs, did not see any drafting (although heard there were a few who in the penalty tents), you almost had the highway to yourself at times and no where to hide!!

So happy with a 4th without even trying and bummed for only being 5mins off 3rd lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Shaper are you going to worlds?

my mate who came in a few minutes after you is going. Rolled down to him. 

I got offered a slot but decided against it. Too much hassle, expense and covid unknowns. Cost to race worlds USD525 with only a USD75 refund if you have to pull out. SA is currently on USA red list for covid, so many regulations about jabs, pcr tests and having to quarantine 14 days on entry, let alone visa issues as local embassy currently not issuing. And all that before trying to manage to get flights there from here. That a long time away from work and unneeded expense (sitting in a hotel for 14 days) to do a 70.3 race, even if it is worlds. Covid infections still rising even though i have had it and a first jab and seeing on the news (sky/bbc) many overseas getting covid for the 2nd time, even though double jabbed. So declined to race worlds another day!

Your mate may have got my slot in roll down or roll over from other age groups as I know quite a few who declined their slots.

2022 Worlds in NZ is pretty well full as most got deferred from 2020, so will see if can qualify for 2023 in Finland.

Edited by shaper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, shaper said:

I got offered a slot but decided against it. Too much hassle, expense and covid unknowns. Cost to race worlds USD525 with only a USD75 refund if you have to pull out. SA is currently on USA red list for covid, so many regulations about jabs, pcr tests and having to quarantine 14 days on entry, let alone visa issues as local embassy currently not issuing. And all that before trying to manage to get flights there from here. That a long time away from work and unneeded expense (sitting in a hotel for 14 days) to do a 70.3 race, even if it is worlds. Covid infections still rising even though i have had it and a first jab and seeing on the news (sky/bbc) many overseas getting covid for the 2nd time, even though double jabbed. So declined to race worlds another day!

Your mate may have got my slot in roll down or roll over from other age groups as I know quite a few who declined their slots.

2022 Worlds in NZ is pretty well full as most got deferred from 2020, so will see if can qualify for 2023 in Finland.

My mate has come to the same conclusion now unfortunately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

My Profile My Forum Content My Followed Content Forum Settings Ad Messages My Ads My Favourites My Saved Alerts My Pay Deals Settings Help Logout