Transxhariep Lite or Mini

Leon O

As my K2C was a total disaster, I am looking at doing the Transxhariep in Feb 2020. Has anybody done this one specifically. I know it is not the K2C, but I still want to do a super distance on MTB.

It looks to be quite "flattish", so it should be ok, apart from possible heat and wind?

flat does not equal easy.

that course is brutal, especially if it is hot and windy like 2018. and with the event being held at that time of the year you are almost guaranteed of hot and windy conditions.

As my K2C was a total disaster, I am looking at doing the Transxhariep in Feb 2020. Has anybody done this one specifically. I know it is not the K2C, but I still want to do a super distance on MTB.

It looks to be quite "flattish", so it should be ok, apart from possible heat and wind?

As Fanie said.

Rough roads, heat, relentless wind. It is a darn tough ride.

flat does not equal easy.

that course is brutal, especially if it is hot and windy like 2018. and with the event being held at that time of the year you are almost guaranteed of hot and windy conditions.

I did a 70km 'flat' race this past weekend and I almost died.  I don't know why, was just a bad day or something in the water.  

Hi Leon

As @vetseun and @Fanie pointed out the Trans Xhariep might look like a easy rider on paper but I promise you it is a proper challenge.

What they both however failed to mention is that we have made some changes to the event  to try and make it easier on riders.

In the Past the Ultra started at 08:00 in the morning witch meant lots of mind and heat all day.

in 2020 the Ultra will start at 05:00 and we have also added 4 more water points to help the buggers out. Some rock up to the event thinking they know better than to pack a camelpack or extra water bottles.

The Lite use to start at 12:00(midday) in Vanderkloof.

We have also changed their start time to 05:00 and they will also now be doing a cicle route back to Gariep.

The mini is a new addition to the event. They will be starting at 06:00 in the morning so relatively cool weather can be expected for a portion of the race.

If You are looking for a challenge, I suggest you book a spot on the Lite. Its going to be a lekker ride.

Pedal safe! 

As Fanie said.
Rough roads, heat, relentless wind. It is a darn tough ride.