Shimano Bleed Screw + O-ring

g_p_k_

Hi all,

In my attempts to bleed the rear brake, I managed to strip/round the 2mm (hex) head of the bleed screw (Y0C698030) on my shimano ultegra shifter. It turns out (reading online reports) this screw is made of a rather soft metal compound and is quite easy to damage. Now the mission is to locate a replacement in south africa; spoke to a coolheat agent  - not only do they not have stock but they've never ordered this part before. 6 months lead time LOL!    

2 questions:

1. where else can I can get this elusive part in SA? 
  2. The shimano manual recommends 0.5Nm - 0.7Nm to tighten this screw. My torque wrench starts at 2Nm. Where can I purchase such a TW in SA? I saw a Gedore brand item on a UK site...

Thanks for any tips.

Geoff.

Snip

2 questions:

• where else can I can get this elusive part in SA?
  • The shimano manual recommends 0.5Nm - 0.7Nm to tighten this screw. My torque wrench starts at 2Nm. Where can I purchase such a TW in SA? I saw a Gedore brand item on a UK site...
Thanks for any tips.

Geoff.

You really don’t need a torque wrench for that, not even sure you get one? Just some finesse. You dont have to crank it down after it is seated. The O-ring acts as a springwasher of sorts once seated that helps prevent it from backing out on its own.

Have you tried a torx bit in the rounded allen socket, that or even a ‘matching’ imperial unit allen key might give you a snug fit to get it going in te interim. Or use a dremmel if you have one and cut a slot for a flathead screwdriver as a last resort

Goodluck

Ps: I see it is available from a few online stores i’ve bought from before. It’s gonna sting (maybe buy some more things to justify shipping) but just aramex it to get around the geolocking thing if you dont feel like waiting months...which is absolute BS once again from coolheat.

Edited by morneS555