Road bike size advice please ?

johnson

Thanks for all the reply's.

I Borrowed a used 100mm stem from my LBS and fitted it on the bike. It feels much more comfortable.

I Also fitted my own saddle and adjusted the seat post to the correct height.

I'm happy with the setup now and taking it for a ride tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions.  

You have been given a bike, and are looking this gift horse in the mouth and fretting about a slight yellow tinge to the perfect teeth.

A "sizing app" cannot recommend, it can at best suggest and it has suggested that the bike can fit you.

If the frame is more or less the right size, seat tube length becomes for all practical purposes irrelevant as you can adjust the seat up and down. I ride bikes that have been professionally fitted with between 15 and 35 cm of seat tube showing. They all are perfectly set-up above the pedal axle and fore/aft the BB.

Set the saddle at the right height for your leg length, and move it forward or backwards to accommodate your femur length and ride your bike. If the reach is too long, fit a shorter stem. there are lots and they are cheap in the classifieds.

Handlebar width is similarly pretty irrelevant and you will never feel the difference between a 42 and 44cm bar. Ignore it.

Actually you will feel the difference between a 42 and 44cm bar. I’ve just made the change from 44 to 42 on recommendation of my bike fit guy, it made a difference.

I have ridden both 42 and 44 and cannot tell the difference, one of my bikes is still 44, the rest 42 and can jump onto any of them with out affecting riding feel at all.